Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

LHD car and failed NCT due to wrong dipp beam direction

Options
  • 06-07-2014 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi,

I have a 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer imported from Italy and yesterday I had my first NCT here.
    The car was in perfect state (I have only 36.000 km!) and I did check everything before attend it.
    Unfortunately, I didn't expect the dipp beam direction check.
    I don't usually drive at night and if I do, I adjust the beam height to 1 or 2 to don't create issues to other drivers.
    So, I need now to fix this and retest the car.
    Could you please recommend to me a garage in Cork, better around Little Island or Douglas that could help me fit and test some beam adaptors/deflectors?
    I found Eurolites ones, however despite it looks simple to apply them, I would like to be more than certain to pass this test :)
    Thank you!
    Post edited by LIGHTNING on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 SuomiJohn

I wouldn´t imagine that the stick on beam deflectors would pass the NCT.
    I had the same problem importing a Jaguar (Irish car) to Finland and bought the deflectors for the drive up and didn´t find them much use. In order to pass the Finnish NCT I took the lights apart and reversed the deflectors inside the lamp. I did that as a last resort as I was quoted nearly €700 for each lamp in LHD.
    I would pressume you could do the same with your car as it was made as LHD and RHD so the lamp unit should be the same, just the deflectors inside need to be changed to suit for over here.

Hope you get it sorted ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 smanet

Actually was the guy that tested my car to recommend to me the sticker solution.
    I did read that it's enough in UK as well.
    If it's not hard and high costly, I will evaluate any possibility :)
    Thank you for your suggestion!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Some cars are switchable for LHD and RHD, others require separate lamp units. You'll need to confirm what is the case for your model. Pg 48 of the manual (http://www.ncts.ie/NCT%20Manual%20Revise%20May%202012.pdf) states the requirements for passing the headlight aim part of the test. It seems deflectors are allowed, but have to be fitted correctly.

Thanks for the manual, as said above, the operator recommended to me to have a garage to fit and test them prior re-testing the car.
    I will also check for the possibility to switch from LHD to RHD.
    Thank you again!!

PS: I forgot, any advice for a garage in my zone?? I haven't needed one so far :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I'd go to fast fit in togher.
    They have the proper machine for testing the lights.
    A lot of normal garages wouldn't have that.

• Advertisement

Thank you, I will see what I can do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

I don't think any cars are switchable from LHD to RHD, but some cars have whats called a tourist lever which flattens the beam i.e you go from your LHD pattern of ____/ to ____ not sure if this will pass the test though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Beam deflectors should be sufficient. My last car was LHD and they worked fine for NCT purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Clonalvy

have LHD lights in BMW 635csi, unable to source RHD lights. Some cars like E30 can be reversed, but not E24. All deflectors in Kilkenny are for RHD cars going to continent. Can you put the deflectors on upside down or where can I get some in Kilkenny area.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 634 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Dont drag up old threads. Create a new one

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement