Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

QSat Review

Options
  • 05-07-2014 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭

Ok, i am / was a qsat customer, currently on my months cancellation notice, the reason i am cancelling is because i can get something better. As others have said, this is a service of last resort, it is no where near as good as a fixed line connection.

This is my opinion of the service.

The actual download speed i would regularly get is 6-700 Kbps thats 5-6 mbps, sometimes that would drop to 250-300 Kbps.

The latency is the killer, the ping is at least 700 ms. That means when you click a link you are waiting a long time for it to start doing anything. It is horrible, everyone who came around commented on it, i got used to opening seven or eight browsing tabs just so they would all load.

The price i was paying was €55 a month expensive compared to broadband.

I had the service for about 30 months, it would go down occasionally especially when there was stormy weather, but never for more than a couple of minutes. It did go down during the bad storms this year, the bracket had come loose from the wall, which they fixed.

Skype is awful to use, think of a conversation with a 2 second delay and lots of pixellation / freezing.

15gb is a very small usage cap for anyone who wants to watch video all month, they also start throttling it at 40% left and at 20% left the service becomes slow, i never tested the connection speeds, but it is noticable.

One huge advantage, i mean massive is the night saver. Between 2am and 8am unlimited downloads, and i mean unlimited, i would get 20gb a night. Thats 600gb a month. You are not allowed torrent traffic. I rented a seedbox and set up crontab to rsync at 2-8 or sftp'd to it.

My opinion - its a good service, think about what you can do with 15gb, i can get something better now though

Advertisement