Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord selling and I have no alternative accommodation

Options
  • 05-07-2014 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I am renting my house the last two years and receiving rent allowance, my landlord has told me he won't be renewing g the lease as he is selling. I have looked around but daft.ie is advertising properties for 1200 to 1500 for a 2 bed house, I only get an 800 limit although I've heard that's raised to 950 I've rang around d landlords and everyone so far have told me that they are not accepting rent allowance (I do understand why some dont)

I am going over to dcc on monday mmorning to explain my situation and voice my concerns about becoming homeless with my son

I am registered with dcc and all voluntary housing associations since 2010 (I know it's not long )

Suppose I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice for me in which could help my situation I am a full time student in ucd and working 5 to 15 hours per week (relief it varies) would this stand to me at all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Dredd_J

CWOs are giving more RA. They know the RA limit doesnt cut it anymore in Dublin and have to increase it, but dont want to publicize it in case other people around the country expect an increase too

• Registered Users Posts: 17 callumsmom

At least that's something I suppose, it's just the challenge of finding someone who will accept r a now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

No need to be homeless. Just move to somewhere the limits will match rent. Have you looked at Meath or Kildare?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Pre-emptive warning.
    Anyone who turns this into a RA/RS bashing thread- is going to face sanctions. The warning is pre-emptive- however- its the one and only warning that is going to be posted here. Behave.

Regards,

The_Conductor

No I haven't, as Its too far a distance from my work college family sons school and childminder, and I don't drive,

The rents are the same as dublin though I've just checked online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I certainly empathise with anyone who is trying to better their lot, which is what you seem to be doing. It's going to be virtually impossible without extreme good fortune to find a private landlord who will take RS based on the system's shoddy treatment of such landlords in the past few years.

You still have your Part IV notice rights which your LL is bound to and your notice of termination has to be in writing. You should get that notice in good time so you have some proof for the authorities that your tenancy really is ending and so they can at least prepare emergency accommodation.

You mentioned family, any chance of moving in with them?

Thank you, it is important to me to educate myself as mu h as possible and make sure ill have a solid career in which will provide for myself and son long term.

Mainly for him so he knows how important a third level education is.

Worst case scenario I'm sure family could put us up temporary, but it would mean no bedroom of our own or personal living space (which I know is better than being homeless) but it would be difficult and again only temporary as my family already have full houses and plenty going on.

I haven't received official notice yet from my landlord but have been onto threshold in relation to my rights etc.

Hopefully dcc or the voluntary housing associations can be of some help Monday morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

callumsmom wrote: »
    Thank you, it is important to me to educate myself as mu h as possible and make sure ill have a solid career in which will provide for myself and son long term.

Mainly for him so he knows how important a third level education is.

Worst case scenario I'm sure family could put us up temporary, but it would mean no bedroom of our own or personal living space (which I know is better than being homeless) but it would be difficult and again only temporary as my family already have full houses and plenty going on.

I haven't received official notice yet from my landlord but have been onto threshold in relation to my rights etc.

Hopefully dcc or the voluntary housing associations can be of some help Monday morning
    Unfortunately DCC will not entertain you until you are physically homeless and the voluntary housing groups are stretched far beyond their resources. Have you looked for a 1 bedroom place? Your son could sleep on a pull out bed as a temporary measure and it would give you the opportunity to look for somewhere better.

CWo s will not approve rent allowance for one bed accommodation as it is deemed unfit accommodation as there is two of us

CWo s will not approve rent allowance for one bed accommodation as it is deemed unfit accommodation as there is two of us
    Which is part of the broken nature of the system: better to put families into emergency accommodation rather than consent to a 1 bed property, which would be perfectly suitable, according to these silly rules!

You couldn't make this nonsense up.

• Advertisement

Nothing surprises me anymore on the odd occasion I have had to deal with cwo's

• Registered Users Posts: 25,823 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Nothing surprises me anymore on the odd occasion I have had to deal with cwo's

What are you studying? There are ITs, schools, buses and childminders all over the country, not just in Dublin.

Social science.. its dublin were I want to live

But if it is not possible (as it may not be given that RS is so unpopular with (especially) Dublin landlords and it doesn't come near market rates for Dublin anyway) then you should really consider your next move. If it's possible to change from UCD to a regional institute, you may be able to continue studying. Unfortunately we can't all live where we really want.

Rents are the same in most counties now with exceptions of really rural areas, im happy in ucd and doing really well and my son well also to move away from dublin would mean renting in a different county council area and cwo would probly not approve r a as I am signed up to dcc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Nobody should be forced to move away from their locality (within reason). The op might rely on family to help her out with her son whe she is studying or working. We don't know the full story

I would live anywhere in dublin, but living in a different county would isolate me from all of my supports

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

I would live anywhere in dublin, but living in a different county would isolate me from all of my supports

I moved from Dublin to Offaly 3 years ago. CWO in Offaly organised RA. I didn't know anyone in Offaly and had never been to the town I'm living in now before I found the property on daft.

There is a move in Dept Social Protection to encourage those on benefits to move out of Dublin and I was given every assistance to do so.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Have you contacted UCD residential services? They might be able to help:

http://www.ucd.ie/residences/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Can anyone tell me why LL's often refuse to accept RA? I would have thought it was a very steady and reliable form of income as opposed to collecting off tenants who may be late with payments or whatever. If you're renting a house for 1000 euro p/m what are the downsides of getting paid via RA versus getting paid via a standing order?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Can anyone tell me why LL's often refuse to accept RA? I would have thought it was a very steady and reliable form of income as opposed to collecting off tenants who may be late with payments or whatever. If you're renting a house for 1000 euro p/m what are the downsides of getting paid via RA versus getting paid via a standing order?

Do a search on here, it's been done to death and beyond

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

Landlord does not get paid directly. RA goes to the tenant and he/she has to pass it on. Some are a bit slow in so doing due to low income and having other expenses.

Also it takes time to organise the RA.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,823 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Many working people cannot afford to live where they want to live - no reason why it should be different for you.

And social science is taught in places all over the country.

I do work ....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I issued a pre-emptive warning- very early on in this thread.
    As you can see- I've deleted 7 posts from a variety of posters.

People are being antagonistic about RA and RS- and OP- you in turn are antagonising people with what they see as you displaying a right of entitlement.

As I do not believe its possible to have a civil discussion in this thread- I am closing it.

OP- we have a state benefits forum- where your query may receive a better reception.

Regards,

The_Conductor

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement