Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kayak hire

Options
  • 05-07-2014 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭

Hi there is a boards.ie team doing the Beast of Ballyhoura in August and with a minimum of over 50k kayaking we could really use some practise. None of us have kayaks so we would need to hire all the gear. Would anyone have an idea of places where we could do this? Ideally if we could find a place where we could also do some mountain biking nearby that would be great
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Dutchie

Do you know what type of water the kayak legs are on? I've competed in war and roar races in the past and have raced my marathon K1 as the kayak legs were held on flat water. There are kayak hire companies in Ireland that hire out different kayaks designed specifically for various types of water conditions. Alternatively Contact canoeing Ireland and they will point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Dutchie wrote: »
    Do you know what type of water the kayak legs are on? I've competed in war and roar races in the past and have raced my marathon K1 as the kayak legs were held on flat water. There are kayak hire companies in Ireland that hire out different kayaks designed specifically for various types of water conditions. Alternatively Contact canoeing Ireland and they will point you in the right direction.

Thanks Dutchie. The kayaks will be provided for the race. We haven't been given the exact details just that there will be three different kayak legs and the total minimum distance will be over 50k. In previous years for the Beast I think they have had kayak legs on the river blackwater. We just need to hire kayaks for a weekend or even a day just to get some practise in and ideally we would like to combine it with some trekking and some mountain biking to try and simulate race conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭carthoris

Apparently these are these sit-on-tops: http://feelfreeus.com/kayaks/recreational-kayaks/gemini/

Looks like it could be on the Suir.
    This is the route from 2010

Advertisement