Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting maps Laminated

Options
  • 05-07-2014 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

Anyone any advice on getting a map laminated either diy or some place to get it done ?

Any one ever done it for themselves ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

But some fablon, it's easy to fold, and easy enough to apply. Just measure it so that there is a minimum 3cm margin on each side, which you can cut at the corners and fold onto the other side of the map. Then fablon the whole of the other side, again with a margin, cut, and fold - this creates a decent overlap to get water out and stops it from ripping.

Fablon can be ordered from those Office Direct places.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Are we talking about OS maps here??

If so, they can be purchased already laminated. I used to get them from Union Chandlery in Cork City. The laminated ones only cost about €4 more than the standard as far as I remember.

Some people are good at laminating their own maps but for someone like me who is absolutely dire at it, €4 is cheap to get a professional job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

I did two with clear contact before (is this the same as Fablon?). It's doable but you have to be very careful not to get dirt, dust and hair stuck to the inside. The number of creases on a map makes it difficult too. This was before they made the laminated version - never again, I would gladly pay the four quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Joe Exotic

John_D80 wrote: »
    Are we talking about OS maps here??

If so, they can be purchased already laminated. I used to get them from Union Chandlery in Cork City. The laminated ones only cost about €4 more than the standard as far as I remember.

Some people are good at laminating their own maps but for someone like me who is absolutely dire at it, €4 is cheap to get a professional job done.

checked that in town day: non laminated maps @8.60
    laminated maps @21.80

Not exact figures but within a few pence

Got stuff for covering books in easons 8 euro so with at least 2 maps to do its quite a difference.

Going to give it a try myself during the week and see how i go will report back.

Anyone ever put together a battle book, what was out into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

You can get better than laminated - bit like that plasticky money abroad
    Mapping sourced from Ordnance Survey

Our patented process uses a combination of a special plasticised paper, UV inks and lamination to create highly durable, water-proof maps that can still be folded.

https://www.aqua3.com/aqua3-maps.asp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭amurph0

Nikwax make stuff called Nikwax Map Proof if that's any good to ya.

http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/products/productdetail.php?productid=64&itemid=-1&fabricid=-1

I've never used it but i assume if it does work then it probably just makes the paper water repellent like those Rite in the Rain notepads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

cheap DIY method: via Lidl/Maplins/Amazon etc...

<A3 Laminating machine <20-30e circa
    <A3 x100 sheets <10e per pack

~ fairly water-proof-resistant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

murphk wrote: »
    checked that in town day: non laminated maps @8.60
    laminated maps @21.80

Not exact figures but within a few pence

Got stuff for covering books in easons 8 euro so with at least 2 maps to do its quite a difference.

Going to give it a try myself during the week and see how i go will report back.

Anyone ever put together a battle book, what was out into it?

My god that is pricey. Has been a long time since I bought those maps I mentioned so apologies if I got your hopes up.

Ref: Battle Book, it's a very individual and situation specific thing. My battle book was an A5 johnnie book in a DPM cover purchased from Protac for about €30. Back in the day I had a master 'Battle Box', a Matterhorn Boots box that was full to bursting point of all the stuff I needed to add and remove from my Battle book. As general rule though, the things that were always in it included:

Notebooks (both waterproof and non waterproof)
    OHP pens
    Pencils
    China graphs
    VERY basic model kit (few ribbons, bits of chalk, laminated cards etc)
    Laminated 7Q tac aids
    Laminated orders proformas
    Laminated reports proformas
    Laminated signals tac aid
    Laminated casevac cards
    Any other tac aids you might need
    Map and spare compass
    Small pen light

Sounds like a lot to fit in I know but as you go along you get to know what you can wadi out of it and what you can't. Mine was very tidy and I was always quite proud of it. :-)

Advertisement