Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling late in pregnancy

Options
  • 05-07-2014 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

We booked a holiday for October before we knew I was pregnant and we are considering our options at the moment. I spoke to my consultant and if the pregnancy goes well he'd be happy to sign a fit to fly form. But of course he can't promise to do that until much closer to the time.

I will be 32 weeks leaving, 33 weeks coming home. Flying to Southern Spain and it will be a relaxing laze about, eat and read type holiday. The hotel we want to book is on the side of a mountain so breezy and cooler than at the coast.

Has anybody travelled around that sage of pregnancy? How was it?

Also I'm looking for rock solid insurance just in case. Something that covers me, premature birth and aftercare. Am I asking too much? (Price on this isn't an issue because if I can't get it I'll be loosing the cost of the flights anyway)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

My friend went to the States at exactly 32 weeks for ten days and was absolutely fine. If you're otherwise in good health there is nothing stopping you!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

That's good to hear. Did she find the flights really uncomfortable or anything? I was looking online for some insurance recommendations and stuff and it was the worse thing I could have done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

No she was fine and they had their 2.5 year old with them too which is no mean feat! They flew to NYC and then an internal flight for an hour and a half and found it good. I suppose you're still pretty comfortable at that stage so as long as it's not a long haul and you've been feeling fine Id say it would do you good if anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

I went to France in May when I was 30 /31 weeks pregnant and it was glorious :) I started to feel very pregnant coming up to the 30 week mark and having ten days away to relax really helped me to slow down and take it easy. I ate well, slept loads and my bump exploded in size :D Just make sure you check the regulations for your airline as they all differ slightly. Ryanair didn't even ask to see my health declaration on either journey despite my very obvious bump The flights were no problem, I opted for a window seat in both directions and got up to move around every twenty minutes.

I'd say go for it, the rest will serve you well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

As far as I know, the cut off time for most airlines is usually 36 weeks, but it varies from airline to airline. 32 weeks once you have had no complications should be no problem, I know nothing about insurance only they will find any way not to pay out that they can :D;)
    Enjoy your holiday, it sounds fabulous !!

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone. I reckon I should be ok, if the pregnancy so far is anything to go by. Famous last words :pac:

Now to root out some decent cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Whispered wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I reckon I should be ok, if the pregnancy so far is anything to go by. Famous last words :pac:

Now to root out some decent cover.

Aer lingus ask you to fill out an expectant mother form needs to be signed by your gp.
    I presume other airlines do the same
    Hope all goes well

Thank you. We are flying with Ryanair who will need a fit to fly form filled in by my consultant. So long as there have been no complications, he will do it no problem. I won't book any accommodation until I have the form. :)

Advertisement