Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of parking

Options
  • 05-07-2014 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi all -

I'm just looking for some advice as I'm not sure where I stand. I'm renting a room in an apartment in Dublin. I signed a lease in December for 12 months. Only one car park space came with the apartment, and my housemate has that. I had been renting another car space in the complex, which was working out fine, but now the owner of that needs it and I'm left with no car park space. Clamping is rife so without a space I have nowhere safe to leave my car.

I'm just wondering - as I can't live in a place where I don't have ready access if my car, and no other ones are available, does this give me good enough grounds for breaking my lease?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

What does the lease state regarding parking (if any)?

Is this "owner" who took the parking space also the landlord?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭KathleenF

The lease doesn't say anything regarding parking. No, the car space I had has nothing to do with my current landlord.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

If your lease says nothing about parking, then breaking the lease because you have no parking is not a valid reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I'm afraid the fact that you were renting your space from a third party means you don't have the right to break the lease. Are you sure there's no workaround because breaking the lease over this is a bit extreme.

Paulw wrote: »
    If your lease says nothing about parking, then breaking the lease because you have no parking is not a valid reason.

Fair enough, that's what I thought.

I'm afraid the fact that you were renting your space from a third party means you don't have the right to break the lease. Are you sure there's no workaround because breaking the lease over this is a bit extreme.

I'm currently trying to find a workaround, but I can't think of one yet, just wanted to get some feedback before I make any sudden moves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,804 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Just find a space to rent in another nearby building, and rent that.

Surely you considered this possibility when you signed your apartment leave???

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If the room numbers correspond to the parking spaces, check which spaces are not taken at night time, and slip a letter under the door of the house saying you'd like to rent the space for X amount.

X amount being 20% lower than you'd pay, to allow the person to haggle you, and think they've screwed you out of extra cash. Don't mention your current predicament, or they will screw you out of extra cash!

Just find a space to rent in another nearby building, and rent that.

Surely you considered this possibility when you signed your apartment leave???

No spaces available. The space I had was promised to me for a year, so I thought I didn't have to consider it.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

KathleenF wrote: »
    No spaces available. The space I had was promised to me for a year, so I thought I didn't have to consider it.

So in the entire development there are no unused spaces or guest spaces available?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

KathleenF wrote: »

Did you sign the lease and agree to the availability of the one space? If so why does your housemate have it? Were they promised an additional space too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

You have just as much right to the parking space as your house mate in my opinion. He/she can't claim ownership unless it says so in their lease agreement, which I highly doubt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

So in the entire development there are no unused spaces or guest spaces available?

Guest spaces are for guests not for residents even short term. High risk of clamping

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

I'm not clear.....do you have a lease signed with the owner of the property? Or just a written agreement with the other housemate?

Thanks for all the comments. I get on v well with my housemate, and even if I were to take her space, that still leaves us looking for another one. To be honest, the situation is a mess. Rent in haste, repent at leisure!

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Guest spaces are for guests not for residents even short term. High risk of clamping

Not where I live - There are un-allocated spaces in the underground car park as well as 'guest parking' around the blocks.
    I sent a quick email to the property manager asking if I could use one of the un-allocated spaces as my parking space is used by my lodger - we have two cars and didn't want to be caught out. Lo and behold, it was no problem to use either guest parking or one of the un-allocated spaces in the underground car park.

Clamping is for when you're parked illegally or using someone elses space & the management companies are aware that a lot of places have only one space allocated but there are two or more cars to each apt now.

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Not where I live - There are un-allocated spaces in the underground car park as well as 'guest parking' around the blocks.
    I sent a quick email to the property manager asking if I could use one of the un-allocated spaces as my parking space is used by my lodger - we have two cars and didn't want to be caught out. Lo and behold, it was no problem to use either guest parking or one of the un-allocated spaces in the underground car park.

Clamping is for when you're parked illegally or using someone elses space & the management companies are aware that a lot of places have only one space allocated but there are two or more cars to each apt now.

Some places will have time limits on guest parking - as in you have to tell them how long the car will be there. Obviously it's not a case of you absolutely have to be gone by the time you said but you definitely would not get away with using it as a long term spot.

I assume it's fine for you to use it but what would you do if you arrived home and all the guest spots were taken? I assume what the OP wants is a spot that is reserved for her.

awec wrote: »
    Some places will have time limits on guest parking - as in you have to tell them how long the car will be there. Obviously it's not a case of you absolutely have to be gone by the time you said but you definitely would not get away with using it as a long term spot.

I assume it's fine for you to use it but what would you do if you arrived home and all the guest spots were taken? I assume what the OP wants is a spot that is reserved for her.

Which often happens as the underground carpark is restricted to those who are up to date on management fees, so there are always the spaces down there. All those behind in their fees are using the ground level guest spaces at the moment and nothing can be done as they are not parked illegally nor are they using an allocated spot.

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

BTW op have you tried asking the management company? I know in my place each apartment comes with 1 spot but you can rent a second one for an extra 50 euro a month.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Try this maybe? http://www.rent.ie/parking-spaces/dublin/dublin-2/
    Google is your friend ;)

Advertisement