Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best man speech advice

Options
  • 05-07-2014 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi all,

I'm from Mayo and I'll be acting as best man for my brother. I'm trying to phrase a line at the end of the speech. It's based on saying that most Mayo men have been waiting since 1951 to reach the holy grail ( winning the All Ireland) but that I am delighted to see that he has achieved this today. Any tips on how to best phrase this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Are you sure you want to compare marrying the love of your life to winning a trophy?? I can't see that being received well. A wife is not a trophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Superquinn

That's what I am trying phrase, i.e not saying it in relation to a trophy. I'm just trying to say that he has achieved an ultimate dream type scenario

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I can see where you are going with it. But why not finish statinghow the bride is better than any cup or throphy that could be won.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

You could say something about it not taking as long to win her heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

You could say something like "most mayo men have been waiting since 1951 to have there dreams come through and see Sam back in Mayo, although if "insert name" kicked the winning goal I don't think it'd make him happier than he is today to be marrying the love of his life "insert name". Or something along those lines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Superquinn

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll have a ponder over the coming days and see if I decide to go ahead with the line!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

What about: 'Much like Mayo football, Mary had always been the bridesmaid but never the bride. John has good odds on Mayo for Sam this year; hopefully the happy couple have a better chance.'

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Is her name Samantha?
    Would be class if so! :D

Is the wedding on this summer?
    Maybe something along the lines of:

As you know, summertime is usually a testing time for Mayomen across the land as the wait for the ultimate prize usual grows...
    However, this summer, [Grooms name] has got his hands on an even greater prize... this is one match that's made in heaven.
    :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Simonap

my hubby had a great speach for me, he later told me he searched the internet for the best ideas, and came up with something that was a mix of the good ideas and his own
    there also are groups you can go to to practice speaking in public if you are nervous

Advertisement