Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on buying a site for a clueless person

Options
  • 05-07-2014 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,
    Any advice appreciated!

Starting to look for a site in the area where I am originally from with a view to getting planning permission first and then building in couple of years. There are not many suitable houses for sale in this part of the country at all and considering building now as an option.

We would buy the site and get planning permission then hopefully get mortgage in couple of years to build.

What I want to know though is where to start when looking at sites, there are sites with fpp granted, some with fpp expired, some with no pp at all? Some agricultural land(couple of acres) near where my home is too.

I have had a look at thedevelopment plan for the county but even then find it pretty confusing.

I will obviously get advice from a professional if we definitely decide to go down this route but just looking for any initial general advice about what kind of what to look for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

check if an advertised site has not had planning refused in the past.Make sure site is big enough for the septic tank and percolation area. Use your common sense, is it in a low lying area? is there a chance of flooding? is there a group water scheme running past the site? or will you need to drill a well? A well will cost 2500 to 5000 depending on the depth you have to go to. Plus allow 2000 for pump,piping,electrical underground cable and building a small pumphouse. Sites in rural areas at a 15 year low at the moment. what county?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Capet

Thanks for the reply

It's in county monaghan. Where most people seem to just build on family land.

I think I might contact the planning office about what areas to look in, I'm not sure if local needs apply etc so not sure then if I would be restricted to the exact village I'm from or not.

Just thought that if we were considering building now might be a good time to look for a site at a decent price

dont rule out unfinished properties, some around here can be bought for less than the site value. if thinking of a well, check locally if there is any taint to the local water. Anyway, try and purchase "subject to planning". If a site has planning granted, you can usually changa the plans for type of house etc., and as long as the floor area is not bigger than the original, be quite sure of permission being granted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd say ring the planning department in the Co. Council. These days they aren't that busy.

I'd say ring the planning department in the Co. Council. These days they aren't that busy.

Chances are the person on the front counter will have a relative with a site for sale! :)

But remember Councils don't want people living in the country, they want you in a town or village.

• Advertisement
Advertisement