Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best ROM for the S5?

Options
  • 05-07-2014 8:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

I'm bored with the Samsung bloat. Are there any good ROMs out there that I could replace it with.

When I had the S4 there was a Google Experience ROM. I loved that. Any equivalents for the S5?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

timetogo wrote: »
    I'm bored with the Samsung bloat. Are there any good ROMs out there that I could replace it with.

When I had the S4 there was a Google Experience ROM. I loved that. Any equivalents for the S5?

You could convert it to Google Play Edition, but I think it's a more involved process than simply rooting and flashing a custom ROM. I have a HTC One, and I used the cyanogen installer to root and install the latest cm ROM about a month ago. Very easy process. I had an S3 before, and rooting it through Odin was simple enough, but the cyanogen installer app makes it even easier. Once you use that, it will install cm ROM, but it also puts a custom recovery on there, so it would be very easy to flash a ROM other than cm onto it afterwards.

As for what is the "best", that's very subjective. Just try a few out and see. Some will retain a Touchwiz look, and others will replace it with a different launcher. I think that Cyanogen is a very good starting point IMO.

Advertisement