Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC crashes when I run games.

Options
  • 05-07-2014 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi everyone,

Just built a new gaming PC when i try to run games it crashes the PC and it restarts,
    im pretty sure its the graphics card is the problem because I can run games off the motherboards graphics. I'm running windows 8 pro , built this on Monday and installed the graphics card today and I've all the drivers for it up to date. Any help would be welcome

The specs are:

Asus Maximus VII Ranger, Intel Z97 Chipset
    8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133MHz
    Intel Core i7 4770K
    Corsair H100 hydro cooler
    Corsair 730T case
    1150W Aerocool power supply
    3GB EVGA GTX780Ti SC +ACX Cool

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Try wipe all nvidia driver and traces of it. And do a fresh install. Download driver 335 and the latest beta driver 340 give them both a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Try wipe all nvidia driver and traces of it. And do a fresh install. Download driver 335 and the latest beta driver 340 give them both a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 donnell90

Ive tried what you said still no luck, im going to ring scan and see what they say

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Might be worth trying disabling the motherboard graphics, most good boards will do this anyway but just to rule out any issues do it manually from the BIOS.

glynf wrote: »
    Might be worth trying disabling the motherboard graphics, most good boards will do this anyway but just to rule out any issues do it manually from the BIOS.

Nope didn't work either.. played a Hr of dayz then crashed again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Do you get any warnings during non gaming use like 'nvidia drivers have stopped responding and have recovered' or the like?

If the game runs for a while before it crashes, keep an eye on temps using EVGA precision/Riva tuner to see if they spike. Have you the cards Oc'ed?

glynf wrote: »
    Do you get any warnings during non gaming use like 'nvidia drivers have stopped responding and have recovered' or the like?

If the game runs for a while before it crashes, keep an eye on temps using EVGA precision/Riva tuner to see if they spike. Have you the cards Oc'ed?

Nope nothing like that no warning come up the drivers are installed its sees the card , checked the temps when when it did work with hwmonitor everything is well with in range , im downloading 3d benchmark to see what that does, ive logged a ticket with scan and waiting to hear back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

could it be over heating?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Check if the power cables to the card are very firmly connected.

I had an issue where my (then newly built) PC would crash when gaming, and it turned out while I had thought I had connected everything firmly - it wasn't firm enough. Once cables were shoved in harder to the card everything was good.

Mr_Red wrote: »
    could it be over heating?
    Sand wrote: »
    Check if the power cables to the card are very firmly connected.

I had an issue where my (then newly built) PC would crash when gaming, and it turned out while I had thought I had connected everything firmly - it wasn't firm enough. Once cables were shoved in harder to the card everything was good.

Ive taken it out and reseated it , I dont think its over heating but it does seam like it is shuting itslf down to protect itself , no the PCie plugs are in firmly on both the power supply and the card its self and its firmly in the slot too

• Advertisement

http:/ /img.ie/nafnn.jpg

remove the space but their is a pic of the plugs in the graphics card , a 6+2 into the 8 and a 6 in to the 6

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Not entirely sure if the newest drivers support Nvidia logging (been a while) but normally they are auto stored in ProgramData/Nvidia Corporation/NetService, and there's a log file there. If you can post the lines there when you launch games maybe we can see something that we're missing.

Not entirely sure if the newest drivers support Nvidia logging (been a while) but normally they are auto stored in ProgramData/Nvidia Corporation/NetService, and there's a log file there. If you can post the lines there when you launch games maybe we can see something that we're missing.

Right i think i went into the right place , the nvidea had a event logging but i hand'nt in enabled but i went and found critical failures
    their are loads of these all in around the time i was playing (pretty sure )

Critical 05/07/2014 13:01:25 Kernel-Power 41 (63)
    The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

so it might be the card causing the power supply to fail??

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

On the face of it perhaps but since its a new build lets have that as a last scenario. It may not be GPU/PSU related.

Have you got prime95? Run a test to see if it crashes even on CPU load. The Cooler might not be attached properly, causing CPU to overheat and auto shutdown to prevent it from being damaged.

On the face of it perhaps but since its a new build lets have that as a last scenario. It may not be GPU/PSU related.

Have you got prime95? Run a test to see if it crashes even on CPU load. The Cooler might not be attached properly, causing CPU to overheat and auto shutdown to prevent it from being damaged.

Ive been on to scan and they got me to try the card in both pcie solts with different power cords just to see was the cable damaged also to run benchmarking which killed it in 2- 5 min each time running it ive been running prime 95 for the last 20 min and hasn't crashed yet and all the temps are good , scan have asked me to return the card to see if its faulty , im out of ideas anyway ha

Advertisement