Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning for my trip around the world!

Options
  • 04-07-2014 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

So I've been thinking about going travelling for ages now but I always seemed to come up with a reason to wait....but I'm now saving as much as I can and plan to take a leave of absence starting in March or April.
    Ideally I would take 18 months so I could spend a longer time in some places but if I'm realistic this isn't an option. I think I'll have to settle for 10 months.

I've a rough idea of where I'd like to visit and how long I should spend there...but I'm very much open to advice??

I'd probably start with 2 or 3 weeks travelling through Canada, then 4 weeks travelling the West Coast of America. I'd either rent a car or get buses...or a mixture for this part.
    Then fly to Belize - is this the best way to get there? Spend 3 weeks between there and Dominican Republic and Jamaica. I think it could be expensive / difficult to travel between these countries though. Has anybody experience doing this?

Then I'd like to spend 10 weeks travelling through South America - I guess a lot of people have done this!!

Then I plan to make my way to China, South Korea & Japan for about 3 weeks - no idea what the best route to there is. Obviously fly but through Europe or where?

I'd like to spend 3 weeks in India & Sri Lanka and maybe 2 weeks in Malaysia & Philippines. Not sure what distance is between these locations or how easy it is to travel from place to place. Any advice?

I've set aside 8 weeks to travel Southeast Asia taking in Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, and Thailand. Is there any country in this area that I should visit that I haven't mentioned!

I'd love to spend 2 weeks in Africa - maybe Tanzania towards Zimbabwe. This might be a bit of a stretch though with the cost of flights.

I'd like to say that I'll have a budget of about €10,000 by then but it could be closer to €8,000 or so... Is this anywhere near enough money??

I know I could probably cut out some of the more expensive bits like Canada to cut the cost somewhat.

Has anybody done a similar trip - what options are there for Round the World tickets that would take in most of my stops or locations?? And what price range would it be?

Really appreciate any help anybody can offer. I am just brainstorming at the minute but I really want to get a plan in place!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Windorah

Wow that sounds amazing!! Fair play for having the courage to go for it:)

So I haven't been to all those places (or even close to all those places!) but I think from my experience in North America four weeks would really cut into your budget.

I spent five weeks backpacking around south east Asia a few years back and we found it plenty of time. We went to Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos. It's very cheap so while eight weeks wouldn't ruin your budget I don't think my stomach could handle it!!!

Very best of luck with it all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Well just to give you an idea, my sister just booked her round the world ticket on Thursday, to cover her large flights (not domestic ones) and it was 4,700euro.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

RiseToMe wrote: »
    Well just to give you an idea, my sister just booked her round the world ticket on Thursday, to cover her large flights (not domestic ones) and it was 4,700euro.

Either your sister got majorly ripped off or she has some off the wall itinerary.

OP some points to consider, getting to/from Africa is expensive. Flying from SE Asia your beat bet might be to fly to South Africa and make your way up to Tanzania. Africa is more expensive to travel in than people think.

South America is amazing, huge continent, lots to do and see. Flying from there you are pretty much going to fly via Oz.

I would nearly try things the other way around I.e hit up Asia first and then to the Americas. For round the world tickets that will probably be a more common route which will make it cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Daisies wrote: »
    Either your sister got majorly ripped off or she has some off the wall itinerary.

OP some points to consider, getting to/from Africa is expensive. Flying from SE Asia your beat bet might be to fly to South Africa and make your way up to Tanzania. Africa is more expensive to travel in than people think.

South America is amazing, huge continent, lots to do and see. Flying from there you are pretty much going to fly via Oz.

I would nearly try things the other way around I.e hit up Asia first and then to the Americas. For round the world tickets that will probably be a more common route which will make it cheaper.

She's headed to do Africa, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Australia New Zealand, Chile, Brazil and then Peru

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Challo

Sorry, I don't think you have near enough money.

About 1000 per month is fine for South America, India, Asia but if you're planning to go to North America, Africa etc you'd need a LOT more.

If you don't mind me saying also, there's a lot of countries in one trip. Would it be better to see less countries but see more of the ones you do visit? The more continents you add to your flights, the higher it is.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I'm going to Sweden in a few days to visit family but man I wouldn't mind being in your shoes for a bit!

My mother did one of those around the world trips and I had no idea it was that expensive!

Fair play to you and the very best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

jaw17 wrote: »
    So I've been thinking about going travelling for ages now but I always seemed to come up with a reason to wait....but I'm now saving as much as I can and plan to take a leave of absence starting in March or April.
    Ideally I would take 18 months so I could spend a longer time in some places but if I'm realistic this isn't an option. I think I'll have to settle for 10 months.

I've a rough idea of where I'd like to visit and how long I should spend there...but I'm very much open to advice??

I'd probably start with 2 or 3 weeks travelling through Canada, then 4 weeks travelling the West Coast of America. I'd either rent a car or get buses...or a mixture for this part.
    Then fly to Belize - is this the best way to get there? Spend 3 weeks between there and Dominican Republic and Jamaica. I think it could be expensive / difficult to travel between these countries though. Has anybody experience doing this?

Then I'd like to spend 10 weeks travelling through South America - I guess a lot of people have done this!!

Then I plan to make my way to China, South Korea & Japan for about 3 weeks - no idea what the best route to there is. Obviously fly but through Europe or where?

I'd like to spend 3 weeks in India & Sri Lanka and maybe 2 weeks in Malaysia & Philippines. Not sure what distance is between these locations or how easy it is to travel from place to place. Any advice?

I've set aside 8 weeks to travel Southeast Asia taking in Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, and Thailand. Is there any country in this area that I should visit that I haven't mentioned!

I'd love to spend 2 weeks in Africa - maybe Tanzania towards Zimbabwe. This might be a bit of a stretch though with the cost of flights.

I'd like to say that I'll have a budget of about €10,000 by then but it could be closer to €8,000 or so... Is this anywhere near enough money??

I know I could probably cut out some of the more expensive bits like Canada to cut the cost somewhat.

Has anybody done a similar trip - what options are there for Round the World tickets that would take in most of my stops or locations?? And what price range would it be?

Really appreciate any help anybody can offer. I am just brainstorming at the minute but I really want to get a plan in place!

Thanks.

Have done a bit of Asia and Oz but now looking at a round the world trip myself. I am budgeting about 1300-1500 per month after flights. Tickets are looking at around the 2k mark for the international flights with about 8 stops. Trying to get around 15k together for the year. I'm sure it could be done cheaper but I would rather have a bit extra.

Advertisement