Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you claim Vat back from European purchase

Options
  • 04-07-2014 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi
    I was thinking of buying a bike from Germany and im vat registered. how do i go about claiming the vat back?. They indicate i have to go through customs here? any info would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Alan Shore

If you are VAT registered then you give your VAT number to the supplier and then they zero rate the supply.

Are you a cycle shop or will the bike be used in your business?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 hoogle

Alan Shore wrote: »
    If you are VAT registered then you give your VAT number to the supplier and then they zero rate the supply.

Are you a cycle shop or will the bike be used in your business?

Cheers for reply. No not a cycle shop going to use it for work. I thought it was as easy as handing vat number over butthey don't work it that way saying I must claim it back after I pay in full but from whom and how I would
    nder

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Wereghost

Since they're not delivering it from Germany they would charge German VAT. if you're using it for business purposes then you should be entitled to reclaim the VAT. You need to register for a taxhead called "EVR" using the Revenue Online Service and then you can use that to reclaim the German VAT. (You add the EVR heading to your existing tax number.)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 hoogle

thanks alot

Advertisement