Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAT tape tranfer? help needed

Options
  • 03-07-2014 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have a old DAT tape with my first studio session from the early 1990s. I recorded 4 or 5 bands as a trainee studio engineer on a 16 track desk at the time. I came across the DAT recently lying around and would like to get it transferred to digital now? Does anyone have access to a DAT anymore or know where I could get it transferred?

Thanks, Tom.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Alwyn in Westland Studio might be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 beechpark

Daire & Beechpark Studio has a large variety of tape machines, including DAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 beechpark

Daire at Beechpark Studio has a large variety of tape machines, including DAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I could do it for you (for a very moderate fee!)

The key with DAT transfer is to get a completely digital copy to a CD or audio file.

It's not a good idea just to hook up a recorder on the analogue line out of the DAT player - the ideal solution is to use the optical out on the DAT and keep the chain totally digital.

The other problem is head alignment - this can be a real bitch with DATs as sometimes the heads on the recording DAT deck were originally misaligned making the tape unplayable on any other deck.

I have four DAT machines, all with digital out. Drop me a PM if you're interested.

Advertisement