Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the cheapest cheap SIM free smart phone?

Options
  • 03-07-2014 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My Samsung Galaxy S4 has developed a fault with the camera and is still under warranty so want to send it away to get the camera fixed. I bought the phone with Vodafone so have to send it away with them but since I bought I got the unlock code from Vodafone and switched to Three. I've since discovered the Three SIM will only work on a 3g enabled phone so my old brick phone I had lying about is no good to tie me over for a week :mad:

Don't want to spend much at all on a backup phone that I will hopefully only need for a week so any recommendations on any cheap android smart phones. If it calls and texts it will do me.

Any recommendations or advise if there is a better forum to ask this question? Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

henke wrote: »
    Hi,

My Samsung Galaxy S4 has developed a fault with the camera and is still under warranty so want to send it away to get the camera fixed. I bought the phone with Vodafone so have to send it away with them but since I bought I got the unlock code from Vodafone and switched to Three. I've since discovered the Three SIM will only work on a 3g enabled phone so my old brick phone I had lying about is no good to tie me over for a week :mad:

Don't want to spend much at all on a backup phone that I will hopefully only need for a week so any recommendations on any cheap android smart phones. If it calls and texts it will do me.

Any recommendations or advise if there is a better forum to ask this question? Cheers.

Pick a budget and have a look on adverts. Three have some in their website too, if you want something in a box. They have an Alcatel for €39 at the moment. No idea how good it is, but you wanted cheap and it doesn't get much cheaper than that. If you're looking for quality, then that doesn't usually come cheap. Depending on what you want to spend, the options are wide open. When I had an issue with a phone and it has to be sent away, I bought a €50 Nokia from a three store and it tided me over. Wasn't a smart phone, but that made me appreciate the other one all the more when it came back.

BTW, you'll need it for more than a week, so get something you can live with even if it's not the cheapest. You would be incredibly fortunate to get a Samsung repair turned around in a week. My S3 was gone for 6 weeks when the motherboard went in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭henke

Pick a budget and have a look on adverts. Three have some in their website too, if you want something in a box. They have an Alcatel for €39 at the moment. No idea how good it is, but you wanted cheap and it doesn't get much cheaper than that. If you're looking for quality, then that doesn't usually come cheap. Depending on what you want to spend, the options are wide open. When I had an issue with a phone and it has to be sent away, I bought a €50 Nokia from a three store and it tided me over. Wasn't a smart phone, but that made me appreciate the other one all the more when it came back.

BTW, you'll need it for more than a week, so get something you can live with even if it's not the cheapest. You would be incredibly fortunate to get a Samsung repair turned around in a week. My S3 was gone for 6 weeks when the motherboard went in it.

Cheers for the advice. 6 weeks really. My mate got the screen replaced on an S3 was only gone a week, maybe 10 days. Would have thought that replacing the rear camera would not be a big job. Hopefully won't be that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

henke wrote: »
    Cheers for the advice. 6 weeks really. My mate got the screen replaced on an S3 was only gone a week, maybe 10 days. Would have thought that replacing the rear camera would not be a big job. Hopefully won't be that long.

If it's something the repair centre in Dublin can do, then yeah, maybe you'd get it back in that timeframe. If it has to go to the UK, you're looking at 15/16 days at best. Of course, it all depends on the exact issue, so you might find my experience and yours will be totally different.

Advertisement