Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PRTB Registration

Options
  • 03-07-2014 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭

Saw this in an ad on Daft;
    Please note that the landlord requests that you pay half of the registration with the PRTB

That's not normal, is it?

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

No it is not

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

It's completely deductible as an expense on his end of year tax return.

I would hazard a guess that the landlord will be a disaster to deal with - I would avoid completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Just seems like such a ridiculous thing to ask for, and to be so up front about it that you tell the agency (or whoever is putting up the ad) to include that info.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Triangla wrote: »
    It's completely deductible as an expense on his end of year tax return.

I would hazard a guess that the landlord will be a disaster to deal with - I would avoid completely.

I'd rephrase this- as 'its a tax deductible expense'.
    Given that its paid from gross income- the net effect is probably that the tax element eats over half of the gross- so looking at the bottom line- there is a cost incurred- of which a net half is made good by deducting it from the taxable income- leaving the landlord worse off by about half the cost.

It is ridiculous asking a prospective tenant to pay it though- its like me asking you, a stranger, to pay my PAYE tax for me. If you pay it- fine, if not, more fool me for asking you to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

No it's not. How much does he want to squeeze out of tenants?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,179 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Landlord is either incompetent, or in a complete financial mess, or is going to be an utter disaster who doesn't understand tenancy law. Walk away.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,346 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Seems a little silly to me. What is the fee now? €90? Would be easier if he just increased the rent by €4 per month.

I would wonder is this a cheaper property at the social welfare limit?

Advertisement