Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trying to quit, keep getting throat & mouth ulcers?

Options
  • 03-07-2014 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭

Ok so for the past two years, I have been trying to quit, only to start up again, mainly because of the fear of these ulcers.
    Mood swings, headaches, messed up sleep patterns, even a bit of weight gain these I can power on through.

But the ulcers are horrible and so painful! Last time, I had one growing near my tooth at the back, so not only could I not chew food properly, I spoke with a lisp for a week because I could not move my jaw properly. So I started it up again, because I was so terrified of getting more of them and having to go to the doctors.

I am just wondering is there any possible way to make sure they never grow the next time I try to quit? Past few times I have tried doing it cold turkey, just full on stopped for a couple of days, so would it be different if I reduced my smoking day by day and used nicotine replacement therapy?

So far, I have started using Listerine mouthwash and Rennie tablets, but I'd imagine they can only do so much.
    I just want to make sure I use enough treatment to make sure they never grow back

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭miss tickle

Ok so for the past two years, I have been trying to quit, only to start up again, mainly because of the fear of these ulcers.
    Mood swings, headaches, messed up sleep patterns, even a bit of weight gain these I can power on through.

But the ulcers are horrible and so painful! Last time, I had one growing near my tooth at the back, so not only could I not chew food properly, I spoke with a lisp for a week because I could not move my jaw properly. So I started it up again, because I was so terrified of getting more of them and having to go to the doctors.

I am just wondering is there any possible way to make sure they never grow the next time I try to quit? Past few times I have tried doing it cold turkey, just full on stopped for a couple of days, so would it be different if I reduced my smoking day by day and used nicotine replacement therapy?

So far, I have started using Listerine mouthwash and Rennie tablets, but I'd imagine they can only do so much.
    I just want to make sure I use enough treatment to make sure they never grow back

When I quit the the first and second time I got sever mouth ulcers both times. This time I'm using an e cig and I haven't any of the physical symtoms I had before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

OP, if going cold turkey, i recommend reducing over a fortnight before stopping altogether. This gives you time to adjust other areas of your life to reduce the chances of ulcers.

Make sure you are getting all the vitamins and minerals you need. Diet is very important here. Also exercise and do 10-15 minutes meditation in a day. Sugar cravings are normal when you stop smoking, so eat fruit and I recommend grapes for the high glucose levels packed into a small fruit.drink plenty of WATER. This cannot be stressed enough.

Oral hygiene is important here too. Brush teeth and mouth thoroughly and use a gentler mouthwash if you need to. Chew sugar-free gum. And have some bonjela, just in case. I recommend some hypnosis relaxation tracks, which are usually free to download.

Using ecigs doesn't change the core habit of smoking, so you would likely relapse.

If you do all of the above, I would be surprised if you got any ulcers. Good luck op.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭stephenamccann

Push through it! Kind of like withdrawal

• Registered Users Posts: 25 GeorgeSlate

It has been seen most of the minor problems like mouth ulcers are caused by damage the mouth. It is saying that this problem is not occurred by stopping smoke only there are many more factors that will cause to mouth ulcer. For this problem the best suggestion for you is consult with doctor and tell about all your problems. May he will help you in more better way.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭spygirl

OP, don't let it put you off giving up. I also had the really terrible mouth ulcers which always sent me back on the fags and made the thoughts of giving up even harder again.
    Before quitting start to fill up on VIT b 12. It says one a day but when you give up pop them like candy 3/4 a day for a week or two.
    Although I did again get the ulcers as soon as they started to tingle went to dentist who prescribed a large dose of anti biotics. Told me to chuck tooth brush and use a soft baby type one for a few days as gums were very sensitive after giving up and brushing was aggravating the gums too much.

This attempt is so far working(Fingers crossed, touch wood etc) and mouth ulcers still not come up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement