Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting Question

Options
  • 03-07-2014 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi all,

I am currently in the process of "de-emigrating" back to Ireland after some time in the UK. It will be my first time renting in Ireland and I had a quick question.

I've read a lot in the newspapers about a tide of repossessions happening in the buy-to-let sector. While living in the UK I would always have had to provide proof of my ability to pay the rent before being accepted as a tenant (I'm sure this is the same in Ireland, naturally).

However, given that some landlords could be in financial difficulty with their respective banks, do you think that it's reasonable/advisable for prospective tenants to ask for clarification that the landlord is in good standing with their bank. The last thing a tenant wants is to be caught up in such a dispute. Moreover, if I am to entrust large sums with a landlord (it's odd that there's no bonding of deposits in Ireland), surely I am as entitled to this information as they are about my financial position.

An odd question I know, but one I thought I'd seek some thoughts on before a landlord tells me to PFO.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,173 ✭✭✭✭L1011

While this information should be available, landlords will almost universally refuse to provide it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The landlord is not entitled to know about your financial position or vice versa. Where'd you get this notion from?

However, do demand:
    six months of bank statements
    a letter from the mortgage holding bank stating no arrears
    a tax clearance certificate
    a building energy rating certificate
    a minimum of four references from previous tenants
    proof of payment of the local property charge and any nppr charge
    letter from any management company stating no arrears

Brought to you by snubbleste

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

snubbleste wrote: »
    The landlord is not entitled to know about your financial position or vice versa. Where'd you get this notion from?

However, do demand:

You'll get the BER (legal requirement) and PFO for the rest

godtabh wrote: »
    You'll get the BER (legal requirement) and PFO for the rest
    You never know unless you ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭whippet

However, do demand:

and then the landlord will just say 'next' and let the place out to someone else.

The tax status of a landlord is of no concern to the tenant and neither should it be (unless its an overseas landlord).

Any potential tenant rocking up to me demanding this sort of nonsense wouldn't even get a call back !! .. and on my property I have a TCC, BER, no arrears etc .... someone like that you know is just going to be a pain in the arse and any right minded landlord wouldn't even consider getting involved.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

You never know unless you ask!

You do know. There is no chance a landlord will volunteer that information.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Steeevvyb

whippet wrote: »
    and then the landlord will just say 'next' and let the place out to someone else.
    Any potential tenant rocking up to me demanding this sort of nonsense wouldn't even get a call back !! .. and on my property I have a TCC, BER, no arrears etc .... someone like that you know is just going to be a pain in the arse and any right minded landlord wouldn't even consider getting involved.

Do you really not carry out any checks on your tenant's ability to pay the rent before letting? I'm suggesting that in the current environment, a tenant who accidentally rents from a landlord who is in financial trouble with the bank could end up losing their home. The lack of information goes both ways.

I'm glad to see people still view tenants as "rocking up" "demanding things" "pains in the arses". I'm just trying to protect my rather limited pot of money, same as the owner would be.

By the way, Tax Clearance is nothing to do with the tenant, you're right. That's why I didn't mention it.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone else.

Best of luck flat hunting

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭whippet

Steeevvyb wrote: »
    Do you really not carry out any checks on your tenant's ability to pay the rent before letting? I'm suggesting that in the current environment, a tenant who accidentally rents from a landlord who is in financial trouble with the bank could end up losing their home. The lack of information goes both ways.

I'm glad to see people still view tenants as "rocking up" "demanding things" "pains in the arses". I'm just trying to protect my rather limited pot of money, same as the owner would be.

By the way, Tax Clearance is nothing to do with the tenant, you're right. That's why I didn't mention it.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone else.

I've had my share of posy tenants and i have a few rules of my own for choosing protective tenants .. but unfortunately I can't disclose them here for fear of breeching the charter or insulting a lot of people.

Advertisement