Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Gaming PC - €1000

Options
  • 03-07-2014 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Hi All, I plan to do my first build at the end of July after months of saving, reading etc. Preferences are definitely for an Intel CPU, and if possible I'd like an nVidia GPU and a modular PSU. I'd consider AMD GPU also for the right model.

Any recommendations are very welcome. Thanks :)

1. What is your budget? €1,000

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming (Mainly Diablo 3, Heartstone and I want to try the new releases, e.g. Titanfall)/Video editing/Internet

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] No

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 1920x1080, I do not intend to upgrade for some time

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Wireless Card, Card Reader & Bluetooth

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Maybe

8. How can you pay? Visa Debit or PayPal

9. When are you purchasing? End of July

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? I don't need help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

Bump

Here's what I have so far. Any thoughts from anyone?

Corsair Carbide Series 500R schwarz, ATX, ohne Netzteil €103.44
    MSI Z87-G45 Gaming, ATX, Sockel 1150 €103.95
    Corsair CX Series Modular CX600M, 600W €64.65
    Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 WindForce 3X, 4GB GDDR5, 2x DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort €357.41
    WD Blue 1TB 6Gb's €49.81
    Crucial M500 240GB SATA 6GB/s 6,4CM (2,5") 7mm €89.99
    Intel Core i5-4670K Box, LGA1150 €203.76
    Alpenföhn CPU-Kühler Brocken 2 - AMD/Intel €38.69
    8GB-Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600, CL9 €64.13

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

All pretty good parts. Maybe look into the I5 4690k and a newer h97 or z97 board.

Other than that. Looks like a nice rig either way.

That was helpful thanks.

I've made some changes which I think are what I'll go for.

Details Unit Price
    8GB-Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600, CL9 €64.13
    be quiet! Pure Power L8 CM 630 Watt €80.55
    Corsair Carbide Series 500R schwarz, ATX, ohne Netzteil €103.44
    Crucial M500 240GB SATA 6GB/s 6,4CM (2,5") 7mm €89.99
    Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 WindForce 3X, 4GB GDDR5, 2x DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort €357.41
    Intel Core i5-4690K Box, LGA1150 €215.41
    MSI Z97 GAMING 5 , Sockel 1150, ATX €134.90
    WD Blue 1TB 6Gb's €49.81
    Total €1,095.64

I've two questions though:
    1. Is it worth saving for another month and going for the new i7 over the i5. Does the extra clock speed and hyperthreading really make that much of a difference?
    2. Is it worth getting a seperate CPU fan or is the stock one that comes with it in the box good enough?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

there is no difference between the i5 and i7 at the moment to be honest. i5 will be good enough for a few years

and yeah the stock cooler will be fine unless you overclock the cpu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

I'd spend €7 extra and get this XFX PRO850W power supply instead. They are very good PSU's and have more than enough power to power a second R9 290 if you want to crossfire in the future giving you much better flexibility when it comes to upgrading in the future. Especially since you have a mobo that runs crossfire x8.

Run everything through Skinflint and you could knock €30 - €50 off the total price.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the tip Brian.

850 watts seems very high though. How difficult is it usually to upgrade the power supply if I decide to change the current 630 watt one later on?

It's not a difficult job, just time consuming unplugging everything and plugging everything back in and re-doing cable management. But more importantly, there is absolutely no reason not to go for an 850w now. Even if your system only ever pulls 450w there's absolutely no negative side effects from having an 850w PSU. And for the sake of €7 and the future upgrade ability it brings, I think you'd be mad not to.

Why spend €80 on a PSU now and if you decide to crossfire in the future have to put it aside and spend another €90 on a new PSU? On top of the price of the card!

For me, it's a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Does having a higher rated psu mean that it will pull all the power its rated for rather than what you need?

just thinking of extra power wasted and more heat generated in the case.

would it not be better to buy a new psu down the road when getting a newer gpu and flog the old one off. Newer parts and all that.

The PSU will only pull the power required by the PC at the time. It will not run 100% 24/7. And of all the components, the PSU has one of the longest lifespans. The EVGA Supernova G2, for example, comes with a 10 year warranty!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Redfox25

..Brian.. wrote: »
    The PSU will only pull the power required by the PC at the time. It will not run 100% 24/7. And of all the components, the PSU has one of the longest lifespans. The EVGA Supernova G2, for example, comes with a 10 year warranty!

Thanks for clearing that up for me. 10 years you say, that's a great warranty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement