Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reinstate fireplace?

Options
  • 03-07-2014 12:20am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm putting a 3 bedroom semi up for sale. I took the fireplace in the front room out a few years back and blocked up the hole. My question is this; is it advisable to reinstall the fireplace? Does it make the house more attractive, or is it worth the hassle? All advice welcome, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

You might be better to get a stove installed tbh. Safer, cheaper and no draughts from open fire. No need to go down the back boiler route if you can do without the expense, but a decent stove fire will only set you back about €500-€600 plus installation. I tiled behind mine and just put a thick shelf in place of a fire place and it looks great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

I think you misunderstood the situation. The question is whether to leave the wall blanked or reinstall the fireplace, which would be better for the sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

roadsmart wrote: »
    I think you misunderstood the situation. The question is whether to leave the wall blanked or reinstall the fireplace, which would be better for the sale?

A little misunderstood, yes. I thought you had removed the whole fireplace (which would usually mean the hearth and surround too) rather than just blocking the hole.

I would still suggest a stove tbh. I think they look a lot better and you can even fry your bacon on them ;)

It comes down to personal preference though. To me, i would prefer to see a stove, or an open fire, but if it were blocked up, it wouldn't be a deal breaker and would be wise to inform any potential buyer of how exactly it was removed and blocked up if they wanted to reinstate a fire. An artificial fire should be enough to satisfy viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

I personally don't find fireplaces all that attractive, especially artifical ones They mess up a whole wall that could be used for a sofa or a TV and without a fireplace you have more options for furniture placement (possibly the reason you got yours removed?). If I ever wanted an artificial fire I'd simply get one myself. An open fire can be more cosy but they're also dirty and require upkeep. Unless it absolutely fit the style of the house, say if it was an old cottage or a grand townhouse, I wouldn't be that drawn by it.

I bought a large old (1930's) house that came without a fireplace and the house really hasn't lost any charm or character from not having a fireplace.

Isn't the advice to make your house as sparse and minimalist as possible so that potential buyers can visualise what they want to do with the place? You should probably just let the buyers decide if they want to reinstall a fireplace or stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I took the fireplace in the front room out a few years back and blocked up the hole.
    Probably best trying to sell the house with no fireplace than having a cheap fireplace there?

One could also see lack of a gaping draught hole as a good thing? Although some fireplaces don't lose much heat, others make the room a fridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

People will see the chimney breast, and figure out they can reinstall an open fire or install a stove if that's what they want. I would leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Leave it alone. If they want to put it back in they can. The only thing I would do is maybe put a note saying the chimney isn't faulty just blocked. If you want to go beyond that by getting a quote to put it back and have it there on show for viewings.
    I went to one house and the property had notes and quotes for most common alteration people would look for like converting the garage joining the toilet and bathroom etc... It was a really good selling tool and the price went over asking and it wasn't boom times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

Thanks people, much along the lines I was thinking but needed to hear it. I like the idea of having quotes ready, much obliged.

Thanks people, much along the lines I was thinking but needed to hear it. I like the idea of having quotes ready, much obliged.
    You can always put you own information sheet together as opposed to the estate agents. It is probably the biggest sale of your life so an extra bit of effort on your behalf can reap rewards. Look at any estate agent brochure and you can see they give very basic dry information once you get past eh blurb that is normally just cut and pasted anyway.

Definitely de-clutter the house as it is probably the biggest issue in property for sale. Books, Cds, ornaments, toys often make a place look smaller. Family photos can be a bit off putting but pictures of people enjoying the house are not and help sell.

A critical friend coming in and pointing out issues is probably a good idea as they will see what a potential purchaser sees.

Check the photos on the estate agent site. Increase the size of them and inspect it all (potential buyers will), if there are any problems get them replaced. If all the rooms aren't pictured I assume somebody is trying to hide something, especially when there are multiples of some rooms.

Don't ever assume an agent is doing a good job make sure they are and do your part to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,333 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Leave it alone. If they want to put it back in they can. The only thing I would do is maybe put a note saying the chimney isn't faulty just blocked.
    This needs careful phrasing, as the chimney might be in poor condition inside.
    If you want to go beyond that by getting a quote to put it back and have it there on show for viewings.
    Potentially dangerous if work can't be done or that price - "But I was expecting a gold fire place!!!".

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    This needs careful phrasing, as the chimney might be in poor condition inside.

Potentially dangerous if work can't be done or that price - "But I was expecting a gold fire place!!!".
    Not really a quote will state the materials and any assumptions.

Advertisement