Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

r9 290 GPU not working.

Options
  • 02-07-2014 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

So my custom computer just arrived today that i had ordered from hardwareversand.de. At first all was well, i installed windows 8 and then all the drivers that came with the ASrock extreme 4 motherboard disc. However i then went into device management and noticed that the r9 290 was not listed so i tried to run unige valley benchmark and only got 3fps. I took the hdmi cable out of the port that goes into the mobo and put it into the hdmi slot in the gpu at the bottom of the computer, nothing was showing. i went online and found some drivers for my gpu but nothing changed. after checking that everything was connected i saw that the fans on the gpu are spinning which ment it was connected but when i went into the bios and looked at what was connected into the pcie2 slot in which the gpu was in it had nothing, all of the pcie slots were apparently empty. am i missing something ? should an istall disc have come with the r9-290 because i didnt even get its box (the pc was assembled by them but they included some of the boxes from the other parts), has anyone got a solution to this problem or experienced similar problems, or am i going to have to send it back ?

EDIT :
    here are my parts:
    4690k i5
    z97 asrock extreme 4
    r9-290
    8gb corsair vengence
    850w modular corsair 80+ gold psu

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Forget about bundled disks, the software is always out of date. So you have plugged the HDMI video feed cable from your monitor into the graphics card, and not the port on the motherboard. If so, you should be able to see an un-accelerated picture. The next thing you need to know is what version of windows you have, such as 32 bit or 64 bit. You can find this out buy right clicking on 'My Computer' and select 'properties'. As for AMD graphics drivers once you know if your OS is x86 or x64, Windows 7 and 8 use the same drivers and they are available on the AMD website on the drop down menu for support/drivers. Make sure you have all the power cables properly attached from your PSU to your GPU. I would think there is at least two cables. If you have done all that you may have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

maybe the r9 got jarred in transport?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 domantasj1

when i plug the cable into the gpu i see nothing at all, the screen remains black. i already downloaded the drivers exactly like you have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Go to bios, and set machine to initialise PCI-Ex graphics first, not onboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

disconnect the power cables from the GPU and Remove the card from the motherboard , theres a little coloured lever you need to press to do this and probably some screws / clips holding it to the case.

Take the card out , inspect it for damage . If you can get hold of another GPU put that in to rule out an issue with the motherboard slot.

alternatively if your board has 2 PCIE slots re seat it in the other one , make sure the power connects are put on properly and then check to see if it comes up in the Bios.

The card should show a display without having to install drivers , it should show the boot screen and bios atleast , if it isn't doing this there is a problem somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

As above, reseat GPU. Try the bottom PCIe slot also if you're plugged into the top. I had asimilar problem to you on my Z77 Extreme 4. Make sure you release the tab on the PCIe slot to remove the card just in case you don't know. It's on the right hand side of the PCIe slot, about the middle of the GPU. Slide it to the right.

If GPU still doesn't work in both PCIe slots, try CMOS reset. There should be a button around the back of the mobo on the I/O panel.

Advertisement