Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Irish motor tax query

Options
  • 02-07-2014 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

A friend has recently purchased a 09 car.He has been told the motor tax for a 1.4 engine is €570 based on CO2 emissions according to the motor tax website which gives his car a reading of 157g/km.
    He checked his manual as well as autotrader .co.uk and a german website that says that his car has a CO2 emissions of 148 g/km which would mean his tax should be €390......is it a case of the Irish being screwed yet again by the State? Are we in the EU or not?Surely if his tax is based on CO2 emissions the tax he should pay is what is stated in the manual. It is a fair old jump from €390 to €570. Look at the categories:

emissions 141-155 = €390
    156 - 170 = €570
    conveniently according to the tax office my mates car is said to be 157....yet the manual claims 148.................! Any advice on arguing this extortion would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Co2 figure is listed on the Vehicle Registration Cert. This is what they go by.

Ford Focus 1.4 litre petrol I'm guessing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Post up his exact make and model. It's most likely not a case of extortion, it's a case of the exact spec and tune that was sold in the Irish (and probably UK) market.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Is the car automatic by any chance?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

bazz26 wrote: »
    Co2 figure is listed on the Vehicle Registration Cert. This is what they go by.

Ford Focus 1.4 litre petrol I'm guessing?

Or Toyota Auris/Corolla 1.4 petrol?

As Bazz says the figure on the VRC is the only one that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ethical

Thanks for your replies.
    His car is a 1.4 skoda octavia,(ambiente),petrol.According to the manual its CO2 is 148 g/km

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

ethical wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies.
    His car is a 1.4 skoda octavia,(ambiente),petrol.According to the manual its CO2 is 148 g/km

It doesnt matter what the manual says. What does it say on the VRC?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ethical

thanks,must ask him what it says.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

this is what makes me laugh, everyone assuming emissions is cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Idbatterim wrote: »
    this is what makes me laugh, everyone assuming emissions is cheaper!

You should see what happens if you go over 226 g/km! :pac:

Advertisement