Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub-leasing help

Options
  • 02-07-2014 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

So I'm subleasing with what I presume is a unregistered "leaser" as there is no contract but I know for sure that they are not the owner and I am wondering what my rights are as such, I left to go home for the weekend and found my locked bedroom to have another set of keys in it and my bedroom unlocked. When questioned the girl who I'm subleasing from said she was just showing potential housemates (other rooms are available for rent) the "rest of the house". I'm wondering what my rights are in this instance as I feel this is unacceptable to do that without even asking permission. If I'm paying for a room I would have believed that it is effectively my room, until I have moved out. Am I right in thinking this?

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

To be honest, if you are sub-letting from another tenant I don't think you have many rights. The majority of leases in Ireland forbid subletting, so if you are there without the consent of the landlord you are a licencee, not a tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,821 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No rights, but not responsibilities either.

Move out, and give her no notice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

No rights, but not responsibilities either.

Move out, and give her no notice.

Presumably there is a deposit involved here too?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Fawkon

Presumably there is a deposit involved here too?

Yeah a deposit has been handed over, it's insane that I have so few rights, not even the right to privacy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Fawkon wrote: »
    Yeah a deposit has been handed over, it's insane that I have so few rights, not even the right to privacy!

A couple of things out of that statement -
    The deposit - are bills owed, can you stay on a few weeks extra to use up the deposit?
    While most people will feel sorry for you that you're in this situation don't be too shocked when people point out that you're an adult - you entered into a legal situation without asking/looking for the details. Can you imagine yourself doing that with a mortgage (please answer no to that question!)
    It's ****ty, all you can do is get out and be more careful next time - bring along a friend who has rented a few different properties and who'd you'd consider canny - they'll sniff out a lot more problems than you will - think of it like getting a mechanic to look at a car you're considering buying.
    About your rights - will you do anything about this, contact TD's demanding the licencee/sublet situation in this country is regulated? Will you set up a campaign/petition demanding these rights are brought into law?

Like I said unless you're willing to do these things most posters on here will feel sorry for you but it will be tempered with thoughts of "they're an adult, they should think for themselves"

The one good thing from your point of view is that you have almost zero responsibilities to go with almost zero rights - use the deposit to pay bills and rent until you're happy the deposit is used up. In the mean time be saving for a new deposit and look for a new house/flat

• Advertisement
Advertisement