Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

22 Week scan

Options
  • 02-07-2014 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭

My partner had the 22 week scan just yesterday and shes a bit worried as am i slightly,about wether there was anything wrong or wether they thought something might be wrong.
    They told us there was nothing wrong,but they can't guarantee anything from this scan but there was nothing to worry about,what i really was wondering was does anyone know what the procedure in situations where there is something wrong or where they maybe see something slightly off possibly,like the pregnancy is far along now so are they compelled to tell you everything when maybe they can't be sure but suspect something wrong?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

If they think there's something wrong they will tell you and do further tests. Just because they can't see anything doesn't mean there isn't anything though. My advice is not to worry, most major abnormalities show up at the anatomy scan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

They will absolutely tell you if they even suspect there might be something wrong. I honestly wouldn't be worrying. If there's any doubt or ambiguity, they will bring you back for another scan or more tests. There are of course no guarantees, as some medical conditions can't be diagnosed until the baby is actually born, but the scans are very detailed and will pick up most issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

amkin25 wrote: »
    They told us there was nothing wrong

There you go. From what they can see on that particular scan, nothing is wrong, that's all they meant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

Thanks for the replies,i get what people are saying about them telling me but considering the fact that the baby has a heartbeat,and even to assume there was something wrong,the baby has to be carried to term.
    So there isn't a lot doctors can do anyway,so surely if they suspect something maybe just slightly,surely procedure would be to say nothing since they could cause undue stress if they are wrong and also considering there is not much can be done anyway.
    I was wondering also does anyone know is there a scan that you can pay for yourself at any stage?It was just in hindsight something she said while scanning has got my partner a bit stressed we should have clarified it ourselves that day,but i suppose its only when u think back on it .

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lollpop

If there was something wrong they would tell you. That's the whole point of the scan. Having said that scans are not 100% accurate, they can't pick up everything. But the doctors wouldn't hide anything from you, if they said nothing is wrong then that's because they can't see any problems. You can pay for a private anomoly scan but if you don't believe the hospital are you going to believe a different doctor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Thanks for the replies,i get what people are saying about them telling me but considering the fact that the baby has a heartbeat,and even to assume there was something wrong,the baby has to be carried to term.
    So there isn't a lot doctors can do anyway,so surely if they suspect something maybe just slightly,surely procedure would be to say nothing since they could cause undue stress if they are wrong and also considering there is not much can be done anyway.
    I was wondering also does anyone know is there a scan that you can pay for yourself at any stage?It was just in hindsight something she said while scanning has got my partner a bit stressed we should have clarified it ourselves that day,but i suppose its only when u think back on it .

You can pay for the scan you just got done. http://www.ultrasounddimensions.ie/detailed-anomaly-scan-dublin/
    This woman is amazing. I think though you can relax tbh if they saw anything worrying they would of told you and even if they had any worries they would tell you to come back for another scan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

They will tell you if there is something wrong, they tell women who's babies have ancephaly and spina bifida etc if there is something wrong. They tell women who's babies have no chance of surviving outside of the womb that there are problems with their babies. They do tell them. Even though there's nothing that can be done.

If you are really worried you can pay for a separate scan but most of the scans done outside of hospitals are done purely for entertainment and not to diagnose things wrong with the baby and if they do suspect something they will just refer you back to your hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Who performed the scan and can you tell us what they said to you that has precipitated this concern? If you're really worried and need clarification then phone up and ask to speak to the obstetrician or midwife who performed the scan to put your mind at ease. I can absolutely assure you that if they detected any little anomaly they wouldn't have let you out of there. My own little fellow who is due in three weeks was diagnosed with a unilateral cleft lip and palate at the anomaly scan and we were then sent for a subsequent, highly detailed fetal medicine scan afterwards to rule out other anomalies. Trust me, if they found something even remotely suspicious you'd know all about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I have read lots of stories of women being told that their baby has a disorder that will mean they won't survive pregnancy, or that they'll die shortly after birth. It happens all the time. It's awful, but it's in everyone's best interests that the family has time to prepare for these things.

At my own 20 week scan, they were paying special attention to his heart, as members of my family have a congenital heart disease. He was in an awkward position where it looked like there were "shadows" on his heart, so we were sent away and I was told to eat something and come back in an hour. But the midwife was totally honest about the whole thing and told me exactly what she could see (it turned out that the shadows were from his spine, I'm not sure exactly, but basically all was fine!)

What did she say that has ye stressed, it might be worth sharing it here as others may have experienced something similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

It would be entirely unethical and against all hospital policy and best practice guidelines for any woman not to be told if there was something that showed up on the scan or in any test.
    The doctors and hospitals have absolutely nothing to gain from not telling you that there may be an issue with the baby.
    We had our anomoly scan at the end of May and got the all clear in so far as you possibly can. We accepted that for what it is. There was nothing showing up that warranted mentioning but the consultant did stress that the scan is not 100% guaranteed. We accepted the good news and went on our way.
    You really should too.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Think about it. Why would they bother scanning if it was policy not to tell you if there was bad news.

If they have the slightest doubt that all is not well and needs to be checked further, they do more scans. They also explain in detail why and what they are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭xalot

Op it sounds like everything is fine, they would have told you if they spotted anything unusual. They have to say that the scans aren't 100% accurate. Do you have any other reason to think that something wasn't right?

As another poster mentioned Ultrasound Dimensions are fantastic, we had our 3D scan done there and it was such a pleasant experience, the place is decked out like a spa - so much more comfortable than the hospital!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

Yeah thanks everyone for the input puts us at ease,think we will just accept it for what it is and that everything is fine,she did say at the end everything was fine so maybe overthinking just a comment made .

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

It's normal to be nervous and questioning everything.. they would have told you if there was anything to worry about.

I found the 4D private scan we had at 24 weeks very reassuring.. had ours at Ultrasound Dimensions in Dunlaoghaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

I had my anomaly scan and they couldn't get a clear image of my baby's heart and they told me so, told me to go home and return in 3 weeks for a repeat as my baby was just in an awkward position.
    Sure enough, I returned 3 weeks later, baby had shifted position and his/her heart looked perfect!

Since then I've had regular growth scans as my baby is a little small. I have another one on Tuesday at 28 weeks. So see, they do tell you if there's anything they need a closer look at. :)

Advertisement