Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBMC resolution

Options
  • 02-07-2014 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Hopefully someone can help me with this. I've got a laptop running XBMC plugged into the HDMI interface on a HD TV. It all works fine, except if I leave XBMC running and turn off the TV while it's sourced to the laptop when I come back, the resolution is all out of whack. It's too large or too stretched or something. I have to restart XBMC to get it back (and I've just noticed that when I quit XBMC, I get a Windows bubble telling me the optimal resolution is 1920x1080 - I can't go that small on a TV that's across the room, but there may be some link here).

Since it only happens when I do it this way (if I switch back to normal TV and turn it off, it's fine) and a quick restart of XBMC resolves it, it's not a showstopper, but I would like to try and get to the bottom of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

corblimey wrote: »
    Hopefully someone can help me with this. I've got a laptop running XBMC plugged into the HDMI interface on a HD TV. It all works fine, except if I leave XBMC running and turn off the TV while it's sourced to the laptop when I come back, the resolution is all out of whack. It's too large or too stretched or something. I have to restart XBMC to get it back (and I've just noticed that when I quit XBMC, I get a Windows bubble telling me the optimal resolution is 1920x1080 - I can't go that small on a TV that's across the room, but there may be some link here).

Since it only happens when I do it this way (if I switch back to normal TV and turn it off, it's fine) and a quick restart of XBMC resolves it, it's not a showstopper, but I would like to try and get to the bottom of it.

1920x1080 is 1080p. That's the maximum resolution of a Full HD TV.

What is the maximum resolution of your laptop?

Are you mirroring the display, extending or using the TV as the only screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Remouad wrote: »
    1920x1080 is 1080p. That's the maximum resolution of a Full HD TV.

What is the maximum resolution of your laptop?

Are you mirroring the display, extending or using the TV as the only screen?

Mirroring. The max resolution of the laptop is 1920x1080 but it's currently set to 1600x900 for legiblity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭squonk

Don't mirror. Use the external display as your only display. 1920x1080 should be fine for a TV provided you have a full HD tv. I'm partially sighted and I can use my HTPC running at 1080p from across the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Yep. Mirroring is your problem there. use it as your only display

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭Wossack

yea, best to use other methods to increase readability over reducing resolution - often causes funnies

ctrl+mousewheel for internet explorer/firefox/chrome for example

• Advertisement
Advertisement