Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotunda midwife led

Options
  • 02-07-2014 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I just found out I'm pregnant for the 3rd time :-) I went private in the rotunda on my first 2. I'd like to go midwife led for my 3rd but am outside the catchment for the rotunda domino. Has anyone gone through the public midwife led system? I'm just scared of thronging waiting rooms and crazy postnatal wards!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

I changed hospital this time because I wanted the domino scheme. So happy I did. I had my first semi private in Holles street and this baby will be born in the Coombe. My clinic is five minutes from my house and I only have two visits to the hospital for scans. I was there this morning and the hospitals are mental busy so delighted not have to go there for every appointment. I don't have any experience of the Rotunda but just knew I wanted mid wife led care this time so that made my choice for me. Hope that helps in some way!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Thirdtimeround

That does help a lot. Thank you. I was thinking about moving hospital in order to do the domino but thought it might be best to stay in the hospital that has all my files. Probably doesn't matter too much about that though.
    How soon did you get your first scan appt for through the domino? And are your appointments kind of organised the same as through the SP scheme?

I got my first scan at twelve weeks. The check in desk in the hospital then gave me dates for my clinic for the next nine months which is great. I get to keep my chart and see my GP as well. My first mid wife appointment was great. Free Parking, no queue and they can give you loads of time. I have my 20 week scan back in the hospital and not back then until 40 weeks. I am hoping to go home early and the mid wife visits you at home for the next five days. If you really want your chart from the other hospital you can request it for a small fee, I think or if you had a section I think the hospital automatically requests it.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

That does help a lot. Thank you. I was thinking about moving hospital in order to do the domino but thought it might be best to stay in the hospital that has all my files. Probably doesn't matter too much about that though.
    How soon did you get your first scan appt for through the domino? And are your appointments kind of organised the same as through the SP scheme?

I was with Holles St public up until 20ish weeks and then when I realised that I was in the catchment area for Coombe domino scheme I switched to them. Probably created a bit of a bureaucratic nightmare for their admin staff, lol. I am very happy with them. I am never waiting longer than 15 minutes for my appointment and the clinic is 5 minutes from my house. They are just lovely too and I truly feel like they listen to me properly at each appointment and never rush through anything. I had got my 12 and 20 weeks scan with Holles st public and then had another anatomy scan with the Coombe at 22 weeks as they just wanted to check everything was ok themselves. I am nearly 33 weeks now.

I wouldn't worry too much about the hospital having all your files- anything you feel important for a different hospital to be aware of can be requested from Rotunda by yourself and you can then give it to the domino midwives.

Good luck with your decision :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Thirdtimeround

I've decided to go Domino in the Coombe. Definitely the best option I think.

Thanks for all your advice girls :-) Hope you're all feeling good and happy in your pregnancy!

• Advertisement

Good for you, I am there too. Between the domino scheme and gentle birth CDs I am enjoying this pregnancy. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

Advertisement