Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I think garage used wrong oil during service!

Options
  • 02-07-2014 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

I normally get my car serviced by a maindealer but this time i decided to go with a local (chain) garage.
    I have a 2008 vw jetta tdi which has a long service interval. When i got the car home i noticed the oil used was halvoline ultra s 5w30 and not the castrol edge that vw recomends. So i googled it and it seems this is 504.00 oil. As far as i can see this is not a long life oil and I believe 507.00 oil should be used.

What should I do, drive it for 10k and change back to castrol edge? Go back to the garage and ask them to change it? Change the oil every 10k anyway? I would be inclined to drive it and switch back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

The oil they used is fine.

The 504.00 is long life spec for petrol engines. 507.00 is the same for Diesel engines. The oil they used meets both specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Apologies, you are correct. So looks like the wrong oil was used.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭nantony98

Apologies, you are correct. So looks like the wrong oil was used.

It looks like Ill need to go back to them to see what they have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭nantony98

I got them to change the brake pads too. Who knows whats stopping my car!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Modified-IRL

5w 30 grade oil is all the same, once it's a decent brand I wouldn't be concerned, if however the engine had high mileage I would suggest 10w 40 over the recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭greasepalm

if the engine has to use a low ash grade i dont think i would use 10w 40.

why do you think places are advertising cheap services as they use a lower grade of oil,we use for that model mobil esp 5w 30 and sells for euro15 a litre and adds up if your capacity is 6 or 7 litres.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Modified-IRL

And if there's high mileage like if it's a taxi I'd put in 10w 40 as it's gonna stop it burning oil as quick as 5w 30 being a finer oil grade

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

And if there's high mileage like if it's a taxi I'd put in 10w 40 as it's gonna stop it burning oil as quick as 5w 30 being a finer oil grade

Or look for reason it is burning oil. High mileage doesn't mean that You have to move from 5w30 or other full synthetic to semi synthetic or even full mineral.
    Plus different brands can have different results on the same engine. For example a lot of mazda 6 mk1 owners will strongly recommend not using Castrol, can loose up to 1L or more per 10000 miles. Where others can get from 0.5L per 10k miles to zero.
    If You aren't sure check make/model specific forum. It doesn't always mean that the oil which garage uses is the best.

5w 30 grade oil is all the same, once it's a decent brand I wouldn't be concerned, if however the engine had high mileage I would suggest 10w 40 over the recommended

Terrible advice. And incorrect information.

5w30 oil is not all the same. We keep 3 different types of 5w30 to make sure we are covered for most modern cars.

A 2008 Jetta TDI will have a PD engine which needs an oil meeting a particular spec to protect the camshaft. If you don't use the correct oil the camshaft will wear out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Terrible advice. And incorrect information.

5w30 oil is not all the same. We keep 3 different types of 5w30 to make sure we are covered for most modern cars.

A 2008 Jetta TDI will have a PD engine which needs an oil meeting a particular spec to protect the camshaft. If you don't use the correct oil the camshaft will wear out.

Aye. Not to mention the HTHS and low-SAPS requirements of most modern turbodiesel setups.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Not necessarily, no - that is a poor generalisation. With many engines it's all about pressure/flow. If the oil is too viscous it can tend to hang around near hot-spots too much and overheat. I have a 3l V6 petrol engine running well over 200HP and I run 5W-30 full-synth in it - it thrives on it. The documentation (from 1999!) specifies 10W-40.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Aye. Not to mention the HTHS and low-SAPS requirements of most modern turbodiesel setups.

Agreed. I didn't bring that into it because it's not really relevant to the OP's car which most likely doesn't have a DPF.

In any case the oil that was used in the OP's car is ok from that point of view as it is a C3 spec low SAPS oil, it just doesn't meet the VW spec for the PD engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

it doesn't matter how much oil you use so long as it's the correct grade and can do it's job

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

I've a TDI Jetta as well. The oil needs to meet VW 507 spec for the DPF. Not all 5W30 oils will meet this. Go back to the garage and get them to change the oil and filter.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

Years ago you could get away just using the same grade oil, but thats not the story now, its gone far more complex and is actually very important on modern diesels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭greasepalm

and common failure on turbos maybe wrong oil like 10w 40 been used.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

So important to get the correct oil, which is not always the manufacturers originally recommended oil. I order my oil from a uk supplier and always ask for the oil they recommend for X car with Y miles using Z fuel etc. Ford changed their mind abouth the correct GearBox oil to be used in the mk3 Mondeo back in 2010 i believe. The oil is supposed to last the life of the car, but the gearbox is prone to shifting problems in 1st and Reverse, especially if cold. Changing the oil out often helps.

OP, go back to the garage and explain why you need the 507 engine oil. Just be nice about it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭GTE

What rubbish.

PD TDI engines are notoriously specific on what oil should be used. Not specific on paper, but specific on engine wear.

Advertisement