Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Americans - Traveling in area

Options
  • 02-07-2014 7:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

The misses and I will be in Ireland in September and would love to get some advice as to how to make our trip as enjoyable a possible. We plan to travel to the southern area for a day or more but have no real idea the best town to stay in or the best things to see / do and would love some advice.

Castles and ruins are one of our main missions during days. We will have a car but like to get out and walk around as necessary. Of course i am sure there are brilliant things coastlines and other things that we should see but we really have no idea what they might be and would love some tips.

Would also entertain the idea of travel companions on day trips, etc ...

After a long day of exploring we do like to hit a pub so any tips on cool nightlife are very welcome, rowdy and bawdy are great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

galway has everylthing you are looking for, it has old rustic buildings, some lovely country side plenty walks and great night life
    cork is also brilliant the likes of clonakilty in cork a nice town,
    kerry you have killarney, dingle, ring of kerry,
    september is a lovely time of year to travel in this country, you will find plenty places to stay that time of year,
    i hope you enjoy the craic when you come,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Cork also for Blarney Castle. One thing that may go against you is that a lot of places are seasonal and may start to close down in late september. Kerry with the lakes of Killarney is about 50miles from Cork. Not that many motorways/highways in Ireland so allow a little extra time for your journeys.

ye want rowdy and bawdy,
    maybe your term of rowdy and ours are a bit different,
    cannot promise our term for rowdy, but can give you the castles and coastlines, fine food, and music,

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SkibbereenIRL

Hi Shannahan,

Why not base yourself in the beautiful Skibbereen, the hub of West Cork? We have one of the highest concentrations of stone circles in the area, megalithic stone forts and not to mention a great selection of castles too! For example the impressive Drombeg stone circle and Knockdrum stone fort.

We have a fab festival too, A Taste of West Cork Festival 5th-14th of September.
    You could have your culture in the morning and some fresh local food in the evening all washed down with a bit of music and a few jars!

See www(dot)Skibbereen.ie for more details on accommodation, events, pub guides! Enjoy your trip to Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 shannahan

Wow thanks for the advice - Cork is on our list at least to pass through. Galway has been recommended more than once and since we want to see the cliffs I am thinking we wll stay there a night or two.

• Advertisement

goat2 wrote: »
    ye want rowdy and bawdy,
    maybe your term of rowdy and ours are a bit different,
    cannot promise our term for rowdy, but can give you the castles and coastlines, fine food, and music,

No our terms are probably the same, truly we do not want too much rowdy but we do like a lively place.

Thanks

goat2 wrote: »
    galway has everylthing you are looking for, it has old rustic buildings, some lovely country side plenty walks and great night life
    cork is also brilliant the likes of clonakilty in cork a nice town,
    kerry you have killarney, dingle, ring of kerry,
    september is a lovely time of year to travel in this country, you will find plenty places to stay that time of year,
    i hope you enjoy the craic when you come,

Keep hearing that term craic - looked it up, maybe my new favorite word, but alas I do not know if i am pronouncing it right and do not want to use it until l I do , will have to get a language lesson when in Ireland.

Hi Shannahan,

Why not base yourself in the beautiful Skibbereen, the hub of West Cork? We have one of the highest concentrations of stone circles in the area, megalithic stone forts and not to mention a great selection of castles too! For example the impressive Drombeg stone circle and Knockdrum stone fort.

We have a fab festival too, A Taste of West Cork Festival 5th-14th of September.
    You could have your culture in the morning and some fresh local food in the evening all washed down with a bit of music and a few jars!

See www(dot)Skibbereen.ie for more details on accommodation, events, pub guides! Enjoy your trip to Ireland!
    tell us more about the festival, is a day and night event, and it is on at a good time of year, hope i will get to this event,
    a part of cork i love is clonikilty, and all that area.

craic sounds like, crack

Hi Goat2,

The Festival this year will include the much loved traditional open air street food and craft market (in the closed off Main Street of the town), daily walks, interactive workshops, food demonstrations and tastings, themed nights in restaurants in Skibbereen and surrounding area, the already famous Celtic Cook off, cookery competitions, traditional music nights and many special events.

It is a great few days to be in West Cork and you will get to taste some of our local produce (look out for the fuchsia flower logo). We also have a jam packed Arts Festival from the 25th of July to 2nd of August this year, if we can tempt you to that :)

Alas we will miss the festival as we arrive on the 18th

• Advertisement

Unfortunately here in the States Crack has such a negative connotation that probably can not use the term.

Just in time for the Clonakilty International Guitar Festival then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭chocaholic04

Castles - Bunratty Castle Co. Clare or Blarney Castle Co.Cork
    Countryside - Anywhere in Co. Kerry really, the Burren Co Clare(Also get the Cliffs of Moher), Connemara Co.Galway
    Coastline- Cliffs of Moher Co. Clare, Dingle Penninsula Co.Kerry
    If you like hillwalking or exploring, the Glen of Aherlow County Tipperary is nice spot.

In regards to nightlife, the best way to experience the traditional Irish is a small town/country pub. You will find plenty where ever you go.
    If your looking for traditional Irish music in the pub, most pubs will advertise outside and plenty in Co.Cork/Kerry/Clare/Galway.

You can say craic when your over here :)

shannahan wrote: »
    Unfortunately here in the States Crack has such a negative connotation that probably can not use the term.

usually if we have a mad enjoyable night,

we say, twas mighty crack last night,

i know what you mean, but before that word got known for the wrong reasons,
    we used it for the right reasons and still do.

Advertisement