Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

XC90 no spare tyre and water in boot

Options
  • 01-07-2014 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

Looking at a 2006 xc90 to purchase and i lifted the cover in boot and saw a pool of water. Any ideas why? big issue?

also the car has no spare tyre. Dealer says the original owner must have chosen not to take that as optional extra. Would a spare in 2006 be an extra on volvo xc90? I doubt it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,385 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

inabina wrote: »
    Looking at a 2006 xc90 to purchase and i lifted the cover in boot and saw a pool of water. Any ideas why? big issue?

It means the seller is a complete idiot. We haven't had rain for a few weeks and he's trying to sell a car with water in the boot!

If I was buying I'd be equally suspicious if the well was squeaky clean, I'd prefer to see a uniform thin layer of dust with no streaks which means no leaks and no big cleanup before I came to view.

On a hatch or an estate a leak is usually a sign that the car was repaired after a rear-ender so the seals aren't watertight any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

Thanks. Thoughts on no spare?

is leak in rear something that is easily repairable?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Water in boot is not a big issue. Sometimes the seals just wear.

sure in the spare wheel wells they give plugs that you open to let the water out and replug again.

also no spare wheel I wouldnt worry about. It was probably an optional extra the owner didnt go for but it must have an inflation kit and bottle of gunk to put into the tyre ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Or as its an xc90 did you not check to see if the spare was under the back of the car ?

Actually get down on the ground and look under to see if the spare is there !

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭gibbon75

The spare wheel kit was/is an optional extra with the XC90 and it supposed to be located under the rear floor (on the outside).
    There aren't any common or known water leak issues with the XC90.
    They might have left the boot open on a rainy day, but it is easy to conduct a test with a garden hose ,)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

inabina wrote: »
    Thanks. Thoughts on no spare?
    Off topic; I think the car I traded in (and got shag all for) had a flat tyre in the boot :eek:

On topic; you'll need to buy a spare, thus an extra cost to buying the car. Also, does a full wheel fit in it, or a half wheel? It's also possible that the spare has since been used, and the other tyre was punctured from the side.

Oh i've checked alright! not there.

just to explain where the "liquid" is. see pic attached.It is sitting on this metal plate where the battery is located. its about 1cm deep. I did not check if it was water. The carpet on the floor of boot that you lift up to find the battery was damp but car had being valeted very recently. possibly a battery leak?

welcome any thoughts thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

It could be rear screen washer fluid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 andrew1300r

gibbon75 wrote: »
    The spare wheel kit was/is an optional extra with the XC90 and it supposed to be located under the rear floor (on the outside).
    There aren't any common or known water leak issues with the XC90.
    They might have left the boot open on a rainy day, but it is easy to conduct a test with a garden hose ,)

Have a 05xc90... No spare wheel.. Just portable air compressor & can of tyre foam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Digital_jay

I've a 2005 with the original invoice of sale and the spare wheel was an optional extra that the previous owner didn't purchase, but it still has compressior with foam refill, as for the water, if the boot was really dirty they could have used a steam cleaner which could account for it or the other thing to look at is the rear lights release from the inside if there not refitted properly water could come in from there - easy thing to over look

Advertisement