Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to resign from ETB

Options
  • 01-07-2014 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I've just been offered a full time permanent job, which I'm probably going to take.

This means I need to resign from my current CID role in the local ETB. I'm part time, claim for my hours, have had no physical contract for the last few years, but think I am still expected to give 1 month's notice. I finished the year's teaching yesterday and won't be paid by the ETB over the summer: normally I would go on the dole instead. The new employer wants me to start on 21st July.

Normally I would speak to my coordinator, however she is away until next week, and I have respond to the job offer asap.

Who do I resign to?! Is it the Adult Education Officer in the co-ordinator's absence? And who do I ask about notice etc? There's no-one else helpful in management other than my coord, and the HR department will always follow the letter of the law (as long as it works in their favour of course... :-)

Anyone have any experience of this or know how I should approach this?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

HR dept because the letter of the law is indeed the law and they will have to follow it. You could try the education officer alright to see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Becki-Jay

You're a PLC teacher is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I would ring HR and they will tell you who to address your letter of resignation to. You can then contact whoever you normally deal with on a day to day basis more from the point of view of being courteous to let them know you are leaving so they don't just hear it from HR.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Green_monster

Thanks for the replies, I was able to get hold of my coordinator who was nice enough to ring me despite being on holiday.

In case anyone needs it, the approach seems to be:
    Verbally inform coordinator
    Verbally inform HR (who amazed me by waiving my notice period as it's the summer holidays anyway)
    Inform CEO in writing, courtesy CC to AEO

And that's it!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Well your notice would have been covered by the summer holidays anyway so that shouldn't ever have been a problem.

Still you get to leave on good terms with your coordinator which is a good thing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement