Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit cut due to cleaning???

Options
  • 01-07-2014 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭

Hi guys,

me and my girlfriend have been renting for the last year and a half. Nice apartment. Paid the rent every month no problem, informed the landlord of problems (which were never sorted actually, but I didn't hassle him because I never really needed the things that weren't working)

So move out time comes, give him the notice, and clean up the apartment. I hired my sister to help as she is a professional cleaner and could get loads done in very short time, and when move out day comes, the apartment is as clean as you can get it (without getting industrial cleaners etc.)

So landlord viewed the apartment with me the day of move out, said everything was fine, and I passed on details for lodgement of deposit. He calls today (a week later) and says the apartment was in 'such a state' that he's holding back an unspecified amount of the deposit until he gets the bill from the cleaning company he has hired to clean up.

Is this allowed? The apartment was pretty much as good as I could get it, but apparently, due to the fact I washed some pots right in front of him when he was there viewing the place on move out day, the place was 'in a state'.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,179 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You can be billed for cleaning but it needs to be an actual cleaners, with an actual receipt - the landlord cannot bill for their time if they do it themselves. Threatening this is a fairly common tactic by landlords who just want to keep the cash going on threads on here.

I'd suggest requesting, in detail, a list of what was actually in need of cleaning as "in a state" doesn't mean anything. You would be in a much better position to argue that it wasn't required at all if you'd taken photographs of the condition when leaving, something for next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

Great!

People make an effort to leave the place clean and still get shafted by the Landlord.

Is he a registered landlord?

If not report him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭MortGoldman

MYOB wrote: »
    You can be billed for cleaning but it needs to be an actual cleaners, with an actual receipt - the landlord cannot bill for their time if they do it themselves. Threatening this is a fairly common tactic by landlords who just want to keep the cash going on threads on here.

I'd suggest requesting, in detail, a list of what was actually in need of cleaning as "in a state" doesn't mean anything. You would be in a much better position to argue that it wasn't required at all if you'd taken photographs of the condition when leaving, something for next time.

Well, I'll request a receipt so. Cheers, my blood is boiling, I spent days cleaning that place.

PLUG71 wrote: »
    Great!

People make an effort to leave the place clean and still get shafted by the Landlord.

Is he a registered landlord?

If not report him!!

He'd be registered, quite well known estate agency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Do you have pictures of the place before you left?

Ask him for pictures of what exactly needed cleaning and how much it cost.

Cleaning can only be taken from the deposit if the place was not clean to an ordinary level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

+1 take pictures when you have cleaned it and email them to him as evidence.

I've even taken it a step further and photographed obvious wear and tear when i've moved into a place just so I can't be accused of causing it when i decide to move on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,346 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If he said it was fine on the day you moved out then he has no cause to withhold deposit. Tell him you are going to the PRTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

He can't turn around and keep the deposit, even if he decided to "get" cleaners in. He has to address the problem with you first and give you the chance to rectify it. PRTB him, its a easy process.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Is there actually any landlords who arent shysters?

This sort of behaviour is disgusting...they talk about running a "business" yet they treat thier customers like shiite.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

chopper6 wrote: »

This sort of behaviour is disgusting...they talk about running a "business" yet they treat thier customers like shiite.
    I've yet to withhold a deposit. Care to retract that insulting & prejudiced comment now?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Chopper6 take your anti landlord campaign elsewhere please, it's getting tiresome at this point.

Zulu wrote: »
    I've yet to withhold a deposit. Care to retract that insulting & prejudiced comment now?

It wasnt a comment it was a question.

And i know from personal experience most of the time the landlord has spent the d eposit and is looking for any excuse they can think of to withhold paying it back.

They think they can rake in the money without actually doing any work..cleaning and painting after a tenant has left is normal,it's called "wear and tear".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

It wasnt a comment it was a question.. .
    humm if you are going to correct English usage, I suggest you start with your own post. You are only highlighting your own ignorance.

humm if you are going to correct English usage, I suggest you start with your own post. You are only highlighting your own ignorance.

So what has that got to do with landlord witholding a deposit for cleaning *after* it's already passed inspection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

Another landlord here who has never withheld a deposit.

He's just informed my girlfriend that the cleaners have already been. Receipt requested.

It wasnt a comment it was a question.

And i know from personal experience most of the time the landlord has spent the d eposit and is looking for any excuse they can think of to withhold paying it back.

They think they can rake in the money without actually doing any work..cleaning and painting after a tenant has left is normal,it's called "wear and tear".

Not all painting and cleaning post letting is due to average wear and tear. An oven not cleaned for years?? Not reasonable. Walls covered in marker/pen or paint damaged by people not hanging things properly?? Not reasonable either. There are degrees of everything.

And how exactly is the landlord raking in the money if the amount they deduct can be shown on a receipt for cleaning? Landlord isn't making a penny.

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    Not all painting and cleaning post letting is due to average wear and tear. An oven not cleaned for years?? Not reasonable. Walls covered in marker/pen or paint damaged by people not hanging things properly?? Not reasonable either. There are degrees of everything.

This is not the OP's issue.
    The landolord said the place was fine then he tried to stif him out of the deposit because the place allegedly needed to be cleaned.

And if you MUST be so pedantic...how much does it cost to clean an oven? a can of mister muscle and some gloves?

Or a fresh coat of One-Colour magnolia? Its less than 20 euros a tub...whats the problem? do you feel you should have to absolutely nothing between lettings?

This is not the OP's issue.
    The landolord said the place was fine then he tried to stif him out of the deposit because the place allegedly needed to be cleaned.

And if you MUST be so pedantic...how much does it cost to clean an oven? a can of mister muscle and some gloves?

Or a fresh coat of One-Colour magnolia? Its less than 20 euros a tub...whats the problem? do you feel you should have to absolutely nothing between lettings?

Excuse me, you weren't referring to the OPs issue. You were making unfair generalisations about every landlords conduct. That is what I was responding to. I keep my property in immaculate order and do a lot of work between tenancies. All of which to date has been funded solely by myself. If you bothered reading previous replies you would see i have never kept even a cent of a deposit. But if a tenant caused a problem that I would otherwise not have to address I would have no hesitation in charging them.

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    But if a tenant caused a problem that I would otherwise not have to address I would have no hesitation in charging them.

What sort of "problem"? an uncleaned oven?

It seems to me the standard landlord response to any kind of complaint from the tenant seems to be either put the rent up or keep the deposit.

There were several on here while back saying the tenant had telephoned them at a weekend and for that they were increasing the rent.

What do you think of that?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

It seems to me the standard landlord response to any kind of complaint from the tenant seems to be either put the rent up or keep the deposit.

There were several on here while back saying the tenant had telephoned them at a weekend and for that they were increasing the rent.

What do you think of that?

chopper6 don't post on this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭userod

There is a difference between an uncleaned oven and one that would not be safe to cook in anymore and needs to be professionally cleaned. What you are saying makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

jon1981 wrote: »
    +1 take pictures when you have cleaned it and email them to him as evidence.

I've even taken it a step further and photographed obvious wear and tear when i've moved into a place just so I can't be accused of causing it when i decide to move on.
    This should be done at the outset - and if necessary at the termination of the lease - by both parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Diane Selwyn

He's just informed my girlfriend that the cleaners have already been. Receipt requested.

If your sister is a professional cleaner and you paid her to clean the place you should get a receipt from her as well - you never know but he might reconsider if he sees you are ready and able to argue your case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

How can he claim to have had to get cleaners in when you had a professional cleaner in already to help you get the place ready for handing back to him?

Get a receipt and a signed statement from your sister about the condition of the place both before and after she helped clean it. This will win any case with the PRTB.

Advertisement