Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consultant Fees

Options
  • 01-07-2014 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

I have been referred to ENT Consultant due to blockage in nasal passage.Anyway just got word that the consultant can see me in August and the cost for first consultation will be £200.I would like to know is that the average charge now for consultation ? Also do I have any other alternatives.If I go public ,there is a waiting list of approx. 12/18 months.I would be interested to hear other views/comments

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭jellyboy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Tony H

As far as I know fees can vary hugely between consultants
    my father in law saw two different consultants recently ,one charged 75 euros and the other charged 140 euros and the cheaper one was much better so check out a few different ones ,it's your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

On radio earlier, Irish [medical] consultants are among the highest paid in the world, averaging at €171k a year... :o

LINK

Damn meself being unable to stand the sight of blood and innards...!! >_<;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

I'd say that's fairly average. I was quoted €200 for an initial consultation with a minimum of €300 for tests with one particular consultant... And they're just the initial tests. And there's a massive waiting list even privately. (I decided I'd just wait longer and get it free...) I've heard of some initial consultations being upwards of €300. It's steep, but if you're going to pay privately it's not exactly above the odds. If you'll be paying privately (where it's likely to cost around that anyway) I'd be more concerned with making sure you're happy with the consultant choice. If it was your GP who referred you, explain that it's a lot of money and you want to make sure you come away happy so you'd like to know whether this consultant is the best one he knows of, or just the most conveniently located.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭lob020

Thanks for replies so far,obviously my health is prime concern,but does anyone know how long the waiting list is for Public Treatment ?
    Can Consultants charge whatever they like ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

lob020 wrote: »
    Thanks for replies so far,obviously my health is prime concern,but does anyone know how long the waiting list is for Public Treatment ?
    Can Consultants charge whatever they like ?

It depends on what you need to get done. Some waiting lists are naturally longer than others.

Consultants can charge what they like if the work is private. They are effectively sole traders in that regard

To the poster who said they are the best paid in the world. (a) not under the new contract and (b) the survey conveniently left out data from other english speaking countries with similar levels of healthcare e.g. America and Canada where they actually get paid much more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

It depends on what you need to get done. Some waiting lists are naturally longer than others.

Consultants can charge what they like if the work is private. They are effectively sole traders in that regard

To the poster who said they are the best paid in the world. (a) not under the new contract and (b) the survey conveniently left out data from other english speaking countries with similar levels of healthcare e.g. America and Canada where they actually get paid much more

Can a consultant from the EU come here and set up a private practise? It should be quite profitable for them to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Depends on the area. Dermatology I waited a year publicly, rheumatology I waited a couple of months privately, genetics still waiting but expect to be seen after waiting about 18 months on the list, gastroenterology was very quick but was privately. (Don't I have quite the impressive list of consultants :pac:)

Ring the secretary and ask about how long the list will be if you go public.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

professore wrote: »
    Can a consultant from the EU come here and set up a private practise? It should be quite profitable for them to do so.

cost a fortune to set up and they would have no line of referrals. wouldnt be viable unless they had some previous contacts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

went to an ENT consultant in the Galway Clinic last December. It was €150, found him to be very good, and I only had to wait 2 days to see him. PM me if you want details.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Buzz Killington the third

I have been referred to ENT Consultant due to blockage in nasal passage.

That'll teach you to pick your nose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Phil_Lives

was referred to an ENT in Blackrock clinic a few years ago and he charged about 180 euro and had absolutely no interest. Was in and out in the space of 10 minutes and no better for it.
    The issue persisted so last year I went to an ENT here in Germany and they were great. They did allergy tests, blood tests, took proper sonar scans and now the issue is resolved. It cost about €700 but I felt like I had actually got my moneys worth whereas in Ireland I felt I had been robbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 blackhorse139

Indemnity cover in Ireland is now 100000 euro per year. This may explain the consultation fees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭SaoirseRose

I went in Dublin about 5 years ago and it cost 150Eur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I can definitely confirm, from much experience, that that fee is absolutely typical.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

I paid €120 to meet a ENT consultant in Clane Private hospital about 2 years ago.

Advertisement