Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Accord petrol: Any known issues?

Options
  • 01-07-2014 3:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering do Honda Accords from 08 or 09 have any well known issues or troublesome areas.
    Looking at the 2.0 petrol models only. Although if they made a slightly larger petrol engine I'd be interested in that too.

Cheers.
    R.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,673 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Roen wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just wondering do Honda Accords from 08 or 09 have any well known issues or troublesome areas.
    Looking at the 2.0 petrol models only. Although if they made a slightly larger petrol engine I'd be interested in that too.

Cheers.
    R.

No issues.
    At all.

There was a 2.4 earlier in production, not sure when they stopped selling it in. May have been available in the U.K..

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Very few petrol models of them here from 2008 onwards due to emissions based tax, you might need to go to the UK for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Sinister Pigeon

When you're doing research into a particular model, apart from typing "problems with/known issues with model x" into google, it's also handy to find the websites/fora for the various owners clubs of that model.
    That way, you can get a feel for the real issues from people who are actually living with the model in question, as opposed to the often well-intentioned regurgitated hearsay that one finds on general motoring fora.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Very few new shape petrol models around but the odd pops up occasionally, all 2.0 litre though. Very reliable, smooth, refined and they are not the worst on fuel.

Crazy money on this one given how hard they are to resell:

media?xwm=y&id=79408ee1-e9eb-4779-8bc6-be2657d5183e&width=400&height=300
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Honda/Accord/2.0-i/44713975561019300/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Cheers lads,

Just copped that the majority are automatic. A bit of naivety on my part. That said I'm not far off ready for one.
    @Sinister, I must check the Honda owners clubs/fora out. Thanks.
    @Bazz, that's the one that popped up on my radar alright. Found the same one on DoneDeal. Nice car but spendy alright!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

i always had an Accord..never a prob, and got good resale price..my last 2 have been diesels.. getting almost 50miles/gallon on commuting to Dublin, petrol i was getting around 30 mls/gallon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

none, whatsoever. they're absolutely bullet proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭zwind

yes. avoid the automatic .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

I have the last model Accord petrol and it's been perfect so far done around 9k miles in it since November

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Had a few Honda petrols in my time, a few DOHC VTEC's too, none of them ever gave any trouble at all.

Japanese cars tend to be super reliable anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Thanks lads.

Honda always had a good rep. But you can't be too sure with that amount of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

The only real issue with it is trying to sell it on - unfortunately it will be worthless second hand due to the diesel obsession in Ireland at the moment. Still, there's an awful lot to be said for a naturally aspirated decent sized petrol engine that will do 250,000 miles in its sleep. None of the DMF or DPF crap to worry about either like you would have to with a diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

If you are looking for a large petrol engined accord I would be inclined to look at importing from Japan, far more choice. You would likely get a high spec model with very low mileage and you can have a mechanic check it out before the sale goes through. It will almost certainly an auto though..

I've not imported myself but friends have advised it is a lot less hassle than it sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

ScottStorm wrote: »
    If you are looking for a large petrol engined accord I would be inclined to look at importing from Japan, far more choice. You would likely get a high spec model with very low mileage and you can have a mechanic check it out before the sale goes through. It will almost certainly an auto though..

I've not imported myself but friends have advised it is a lot less hassle than it sounds.

Biggest issue with buying JDM is that insurance can be a bitch. You can certainly get some lovely stuff imported from Japan, but I would be checking insurance thoroughly before I buy, and make sure that there are at least 4-5 companies that are offering decent quotes so that you dont get stung if one of them decides that they no longer like Japanese imports (as has happened to me before).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Yeah if you buy a petrol, be prepared to keep it for a while.

That would be fine with me, they are excellent cars in every way.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd say importing from Japan would be expensive when you take Co2 emissions into consideration on a larger petrol engine for VRT and motor tax purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

ive a 05 accord, quite hard on the petrol but its bullet proof.
    One thing that is going is the clutch master cylinder. Apparrently quite common.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

djimi wrote: »
    Biggest issue with buying JDM is that insurance can be a bitch. You can certainly get some lovely stuff imported from Japan, but I would be checking insurance thoroughly before I buy, and make sure that there are at least 4-5 companies that are offering decent quotes so that you dont get stung if one of them decides that they no longer like Japanese imports (as has happened to me before).

Good point, hadn't considered that with an accord.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

Like all petrol Hondas since the dawn of time there bulletproof engine wise. As someone already mentioned clutch master cylinders can give trouble and they still give hassle with wheel speed sensors/ ABS units

Advertisement