Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house without vacant possession

Options
  • 30-06-2014 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Looking from some advise here. Myself and my wife have seen a house in an area we like at a very good price. I called the auctioneer today and he has advised that vacant possession isn't possible as the tenants are renewing their contract. My question is would it be too much hassle to buy it and give the tenants their notice and are we as well off looking elsewhere

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Are you a cash buyer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Are you a cash buyer?

Ideally was planning on taking a small mortgage but can borrow the money remaining money needed from my dad to buy for cash if needs be. I've heard you won't get a mortgage to buy a family home without vacant possession but could you get one to buy an investment property?

If this is an investment property why would you wish to get rid of a sitting tenant?

If this is an investment property why would you wish to get rid of a sitting tenant?

I'm looking to buy it as my main home but I know the bank wouldn't give a mortgage as a family home without vacant possession. That's why I'm asking a) is it possible to get a mortgage on it as an investment property (and eventually move tenants out and move in)?
    b) is it worth the hassle of buying and trying to move out existing tenants

I'm looking to buy it as my main home but I know the bank wouldn't give a mortgage as a family home without vacant possession. That's why I'm asking a) is it possible to get a mortgage on it as an investment property (and eventually move tenants out and move in)?
    b) is it worth the hassle of buying and trying to move out existing tenants

a) that's heading towards fraud....it's obtaining credit by false/deceptive means.
    Investment property lending is also completely different to personal lending, different qualifying criteria, LTV's, rates and you need a much larger deposit as the loans are around the 70% mark.
    b) no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭daithi7

b) no.

Really, I thought that if you bought a house to move into, you are entitled to ask the existing tenants to leave before acquiring the title.

I've just bought an investment property with a sitting tenant (who in my case I wished to hang on to) , but in the purchase contract I was asked if I wished to acquire it in vacant possession. In which case, the other side's solicitor would give notice to the sitting tenant before transfer of the property to me, and that tenant would be asked to leave after 30 days as per their tenancy agreement.

Is this not how most residential properties are transferred? i.e. Is the option of voiding a tenancy on sale, the common practice in contract law????

a) that's heading towards fraud....it's obtaining credit by false/deceptive means.
    Investment property lending is also completely different to personal lending, different qualifying criteria, LTV's, rates and you need a much larger deposit as the loans are around the 70% mark.
    b) no.

Thanks for that its exactly what I'm looking for. As I've said the mortgage would be for less than 50% so ltv wouldn't be an issue. In point b I was thinking it'd be more hassle than its worth

daithi7 wrote: »
    Really, I thought that if you bought a house to move into, you are entitled to ask the existing tenants to leave before acquiring the title.

I've just bought an investment property with a sitting tenant (who in my case I wished to hang on to) , but in the purchase contract I was asked if I wished to acquire it in vacant possession. In which case, the other side's solicitor would give notice to the sitting tenant before transfer of the property to me, and that tenant would be asked to leave after 30 days as per their tenancy agreement.

Is this not how most residential properties are transferred? i.e. Is the option of voiding a tenancy on sale, the common practice in contract law????

I assumed the same but when I queried vacant possession with the auctioneer he said it wasn't an option

30 days may not be the required notice period - they could be entitled to 112 days notice, not to mention the fact that they could of course ignore that and make it extremely difficult to gain possession of the house while a new landlord has to go through the process of a legal eviction through the PRTB and the courts.
    IMHO it's too much hassle.

30 days may not be the required notice period - they could be entitled to 112 days notice, not to mention the fact that they could of course ignore that and make it extremely difficult to gain possession of the house while a new landlord has to go through the process of a legal eviction through the PRTB and the courts.
    IMHO it's too much hassle.

That's what I thought but said I'd ask for more experiences opinions. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

as the tenants are renewing their contract
    So? If the auctioneer wanted to sell, they could just say "no" the renewment, and let you buy the house. I'm thinking someone else has dibs on the house.

the_syco wrote: »
    So? If the auctioneer wanted to sell, they could just say "no" the renewment, and let you buy the house. I'm thinking someone else has dibs on the house.

Seemed very strange to me to be honest. Might just want a cash buyer for quick sale

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

Not all sitting tenants are the same, in worst case they could have lifetime tenancy at favourable rates,

I know people who bought property super cheap over the years , only because they were more likely to outlive the tenant over say 20 or 30 years hence. In some case these properties would be discounted by up to 80% of market value .

Bigus wrote: »
    Not all sitting tenants are the same, in worst case they could have lifetime tenancy at favourable rates,

I know people who bought property super cheap over the years , only because they were more likely to outlive the tenant over say 20 or 30 years hence. In some case these properties would be discounted by up to 80% of market value .

I'd have no interest in that. I'd be happy to buy it and allow 6 months notice but I could get shafted and end up being a land lord while still renting myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Bigus wrote: »

Wow! Does that happen - is it usual here?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I know of one that sold at 60% of market value. But no rent was being paid!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭daithi7

I'd have no interest in that. I'd be happy to buy it and allow 6 months notice but I could get shafted and end up being a land lord while still renting myself

if you'd be happy with that outcome, I'd go for that. Afaik, you can serve notice on the grounds that you are using the house for yourself which you are entitled to do. Through your sol you may even be able to insist they give you the property tenant free, so the other side take care of their own tenancy, which is the way it normally works.

At the very least you will get sight of the tenancy agreement that is in place & you will get a chance to assess the pros & cons of buying with this bind on the property.

It sounds to me like estate agent blarney tbh, porkies are their stock & trade. He may not want your bid for whatever reason(preferred bidder,etc), so make sure your bid is in writing so its on the record. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It can happen. Someone gets rent at £25 a week until they die back in the 70's and 80's. I think there was legislation over it a while back (last five years), though that got rid of it?

if you'd be happy with that outcome, I'd go for that. Afaik, you can serve notice on the grounds that you are using the house for yourself which you are entitled to do. Through your sol you may even be able to insist they give you the property tenant free, so the other side take care of their own tenancy, which is the way it normally works.

At the very least you will get sight of the tenancy agreement that is in place & you will get a chance to assess the pros & cons of buying with this bind on the property.

It sounds to me like estate agent blarney tbh, porkies are their stock & trade. He may not want your bid for whatever reason(preferred bidder,etc), so make sure your bid is in writing so its on the record. Good luck with it.

Thanks for the reply. It seems like the property is going to be too much hassle. Also someone suggested to me today that they may be having trouble getting the tenants out. He ce not selling vacant. Think I'll keep looking as I have no interest in being a landlord

Advertisement