Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Much would/could it cost to have someone manage my website?

Options
  • 30-06-2014 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hello,

I have a busy eCommerce site with about 800 products on it. So far, I've been doing everything from adding products, images and descriptions to keeping them in the top 10 of google.

I'm now looking to hand this over to someone and focus more on building the business.

From experience does anyone have a ballpark figure of what this might cost?

I've had 2 quotes and they're between €1600 and €2500 per month...

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Hours x rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 colmbie

Hours x rate?

I'd say I spend approx 10 hours on the site a week and that's made up of adding new products, updating and improving product descriptions to more google-friendly versions, checking online competition to compare prices and see what they're doing, compiling a weekly email of offers, and checking analytics stats to see what's working and what's not.

I know what I earn an hour ;) but just wondering what the industry price is?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Fluxfan

I'd say you'd be looking at €500+ anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 16,412 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Rate for a decent web developer is around the €400-600 per day range.

A less technical but trustworthy & competent website "manager" will cost a significant fraction of that, highly negotiable but I'm guessing somewhere in the 70-90% range as a rough guideline.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

colmbie wrote: »
    I...adding new products,
    updating and improving product descriptions to more google-friendly versions, checking online competition to compare prices and see what they're doing, compiling a weekly email of offers, and checking analytics stats to see what's working and what's not.

Two vastly different skill and knowledge bases needed there.

To make it work successfully, the person doing the second set will need to have a fair knowledge of your industry, business and site. If you're looking for a company to manage that (ie to cover the costs of recruitment and handover when someone leaves), it won't be cheap.

Do you have existing employees? Would it be viable to hire someone to work directly for you to do it? Sounds like a great part-time job for a student.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭rankingelite

It would be cheaper to outsource this on a freelance site like elance. I hired a Romanian web developer who was a genius for like $15 an hour..

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bdo

It does not look like you need a web developer. It's not a technical role you've outlined.

You need a Content Manager to add content, rewrite product descriptions (with an eye on keywords), checking online competition, compile a weekly email etc. Any decent content manager will also be data-competent also, to review what is working in Analytics, WebMaster tools etc. and make the necessary changes.

I would love to do it for you from Ireland ... but in all honesty, you are going to find your way to a cheaper but equally as good freelancer in the Philippines, Romania, etc. You will test out several people at the start and then settle on a limited number of reliable providers who will learn your industry as they go along etc. Provide text instructions/diagrams etc at the start to start the ball rolling.

Trojan wrote: »
    Rate for a decent web developer is around the €400-600 per day range.

A less technical but trustworthy & competent website "manager" will cost a significant fraction of that, highly negotiable but I'm guessing somewhere in the 70-90% range as a rough guideline.

€400-600 per day!?!

I don't think I need a web developer as such, it would be more of a website manager role.

Would it be viable to hire someone to work directly for you to do it? Sounds like a great part-time job for a student.

I'm looking to outsource it completely rather than take on staff.

I have tried a couple of students who have completed digital marketing courses...I'm not sure what they teach in these courses but it seems to be fairly basic "build content-rich sites" and "focus on SEO" anything beyond that seemed to be unfamiliar to them :(

It would be cheaper to outsource this on a freelance site like elance. I hired a Romanian web developer who was a genius for like $15 an hour..

I'm toying with that idea but ideally want to keep it with someone working in Ireland.

• Advertisement

colmbie wrote: »
    €400-600 per day!?!

Ya, but that's an all up contractor rate. You pay no employer PRSI, employer's liability insurance etc. Most likely you don't provide the PC or the internet connection or the desk or the heating. You only pay for the days you use, and you have a break clause in the contract that lets you out of it with very little notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭philboy

Hi colmbie,
    I PM'ed you a couple of days ago. I'd potentially be interested in this role. If you PM me your contact details. I'll give you a call and we can go over my experience and take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭rusnakova

I know a person who will be the perfect match - skills/experience, reliability and price. I'm sending you a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Timfy

Have you considered taking on an intern / jobsbridge employee? No cost to you and a chance for someone to widen their skillset...

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

So we've now gone from €600 to €0. Incredible.

An intern is not zero cost for a small business.

Firstly, your employer's liability insurance needs to cover them - for a small company that could mean a premium increase. Second, you have to spend time that could be billable mentoring them. And you need to provide a desk and a computer for them to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Irish Grave Markers

Hi there, can you pm me his name please?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Irish Grave Markers

What is your website address?

Advertisement