Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asbestos Ceiling Removal

Options
  • 29-06-2014 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

I have bought a house in Marino and I know historically allot of the older houses have ceiling tiles that contain asbestos. I have a couple of questions, firstly has anyone had them removed and if so what was the cost per M2 (or total) and will they do a free survey to confirm first? Secondly is it legal to remove them yourself in Ireland? I am aware of the dangers and procedure to do this and that it is best done by a professional, but can't get a definitive answer as to legality of self removal (I know there are certain sites that will receive the waste). Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Interested in this myself from anyone with experiences removing asbestos material from their home.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Asbestos tends to be expensive to remove due to the additional precautions necessary for PPE and method of removal as well as the waste disposal costs. I've worked in places where some old sheds were condemned rather than deal with the asbestos problem.

The main thing to consider is how likely the asbestos is to be disturbed. It's usually easier to leave it in place if there's no significant risk from it.

I haven't had any dealings with contractors but I doubt there's any free survey. They would need to take samples and analyse it to determine the type of asbestos. That would involve disturbing it and probably full protective gear, etc. With regards to doing it yourself, I just wouldn't risk it. However I can't find anything that prevents a private citizen from conducting the work. Most of the legislation surrounds employers and health and safety regs.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Does it actually have ceiling *tiles*?

Asbestos was common in textured plaster ceilings, less so in non-textured ones. I've rarely seen suspended (tiled) ceilings in private houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭mugwumpjism

Thanks Michael, I am having it survey during the week to find out the type and extent. It's not tiles (I don't know why I wrote tiles?) Its plasterboard type material held up with batons upstairs and a 'dimpled' ceiling downstairs..plus a wavy roof on the shed and maybe one of the down pipes outside. If I could remove the ceiling without too much disturbance and with all the proper masks, googles and disposable work clothes, plus pvc sheeting in the room, wetted down etc it is doable...also a post works air test for peace of mind. The cost for removal is extortionate IMO...even when the risk is factored in. The other option is as you say to seal it in situ. Will keep you posted. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Out if interest what is the cost of removal you are being quoted?

• Advertisement

I haven't got quotes yet Jon, but I know from similar houses in the area that if it is in the upstairs and downstairs ceiling the jobs were costing 6.5-7k....and that is a smallish house (85m2).

Just to inform you I have quotes to remove aprox 72m of ceiling, a 2m2 garage roof and a 2m flue of between 4900 and 6800

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

If I could remove the ceiling without too much disturbance and with all the proper masks, googles and disposable work clothes, plus pvc sheeting in the room, wetted down etc it is doable...also a post works air test for peace of mind. The cost for removal is extortionate IMO...even when the risk is factored in. The other option is as you say to seal it in situ. Will keep you posted. Cheers
    I've been involved in building projects where they remove asbestos. Fully sealed rooms with negative air pressure, with fully sealed plastic corridor to a special van where they can wash down and take off their clothes ( think of the scene from et).
    I wouldn't recommend you to do it yourself- at a minimum it would need full health and safety - psdp, pscs, safety plan, method statement, notification etc.

Advertisement