Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer dead, how to diagnose?

Options
  • 29-06-2014 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Hi, I had a working mini-itx PC with intel 2500K and AMD 6870 GPU

A couple of weeks ago, the computer just froze and after rebooting it rebooted but then froze a couple of minutes later. After that I could only get into the BIOS but even there it froze, now I can't even get into the BIOS nor does it show a video signal.

How do I diagnose what is wrong? I took everything out bar the memory and CPU but no go.

Probably I need to buy either a new motherboard or a new CPU. How do I find out?

Motherboard is an Asrock Z68M-ITX/HT.

PS if no memory is present, will it display the BIOS screen or does some need to installed? (i have 2x4gb)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Do you have/can you borrow a PSU to rule out yours? AFAIK no motherboards will boot to BIOS without RAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Wcool

Sorry, I should have said that the fan comes on but no video signal, so the PSU is ok I think.

It might be that one of the RAM strips is wrong but I tried with none, one each and two in the connector, all the same.

When I had last access to the BIOS, the temperature for CPU and GPU was around 40 celsius so I don't think the CPU is burned (unless it happened before and the CPU kept on going for a while)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

The fan coming on doesn't rule out a PSU issue, plus the symptoms match a failing PSU, so I'd echo the advice to try a different one.

Thanks for this, I do have spare PSUs I will try a different one.

I tried another PSU. Same behaviour. I think I will give up. I have another AMD motherboard lying around and full case. Intel is expensive to replace, I have decided to just buy a FX6300 and build a new pc.

But if anyone has some other ideas for diagnosis, I would welcome it as I could rebuild it for my wife for some coop gaming :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I actually have an ITX Z77 motherboard I'm not using, if you'd like it. (ASRock Z77E-ITX)

Wow that would be great at least I can find out if it is the processor or the motherboard! Will send a PM

Advertisement