Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council House List

Options
  • 29-06-2014 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi guys, just want to know what counties one can get council house quickly? I remember someone once said its definitely some counties/cities in the country are more quicker in giving council house except places like Dublin, Bray, Meath, e.t.c.

any??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,746 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Generally ones with high unemployment.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭20784

Generally ones with high unemployment.

ok, like?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 callumsmom

Unfortunately it's not possible to get housed in a county your not from anymore

For example if I've been living in dublin for quite some time and decide to live in limerick their county council will not accept you application as it's not the county you've been resident in

kind of sucks I know, but I suppose it's only fair for the locals on the housing list

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭20784

callumsmom wrote: »
    Unfortunately it's not possible to get housed in a county your not from anymore

For example if I've been living in dublin for quite some time and decide to live in limerick their county council will not accept you application as it's not the county you've been resident in

kind of sucks I know, but I suppose it's only fair for the locals on the housing list

I understand you, but i mean a fresh place to start living as new resident in the country, any county that fast in housing not too taking years?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 callumsmom

Your only aloud apply in for housing in the county your from

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,746 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I don't think that it's that clear-cut.

There are counties which are fairly short on social housing applicants, and are willing to take others in. Especially if there's domestic violence or some other reason for needing to move away from where you are from and make a totally new start.

There is no central list of the policies of each one. What you need to do is ring the housing office at each county council, tell them your story and ask if a move to XXX is possible.

If you can, start with ones where you might have some link with the place. Eg "my grandad was from Leitrim" or suchlike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 hqd

In general for housing list you need to stay away from Dublin but as noted above unless you have:

lived in the area for 5 years in a row
    Currently live in the area
    Go to college/ school in the area
    Work in the Area

then you won't be eligible to apply for a separate housing list from where you live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

20784 wrote: »
    I understand you, but i mean a fresh place to start living as new resident in the country, any county that fast in housing not too taking years?

As a new resident to the country you'll be way down the list unless there exceptional circumstances. You can't shop for local authority hosting as it were.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

20784 wrote: »
    Hi guys, just want to know what counties one can get council house quickly? I remember someone once said its definitely some counties/cities in the country are more quicker in giving council house except places like Dublin, Bray, Meath, e.t.c.

any??

I don't think any county in Ireland fastrack people to social housing - it's not something most people really want to attain it's something they need. Every house on each council list is met with a those who need it most basis and regardless of that there are people in dire need who are still waiting.

If you're looking for a fresh start maybe you should base that on place, job prospects, education, cost of accomodation, quality of life etc. There are some lovely places to live in this country.

Check out Look West.ie a website actively encouraging familes to move.

But the days of hoping for an easy route to affordable housing are long gone IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

If you are getting rent allowance come January 2015 you can fogey about EVER getting a council house.. anywhere

Other changes include that the HAP will be payable directly to the landlord, whereas the rent supplement is payable to the tenant. Recipients will also be able to take up work whereas currently rent supplement recipients are cannot work.
    Critics, among them a number of oppositions TDs, say the Bill will “force thousands of families off the housing lists and into the hands of private landlords”.
    They say a provision in the Bill means families will be deemed housed once they are provided with the assistance payment, and will therefore be removed from the social housing list.
    They also claim it will be used to drive down number on the social housing lists while leaving tenants “at the mercy” of the private rented sector.
    The payment is to be piloted in six local authorities as soon as possible after enactment of the legislation. They are Monaghan, Cork County, Waterford, Louth, Kilkenny and South Dublin County Councils. Dublin City Council is also due to pilot the payment, specifically targeting homeless families in emergency accommodation.
    It is scheduled to be rolled out nationally from January 2015.
    At a press conference in Dublin this morning, a number of women who have children and are homeless, said the Bill would allow local authorities to “throw” them “off the council waiting lists”. http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/minister-for-housing-says-criticisms-of-bill-grossly-inaccurate-1.1835477

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

dharma200 wrote: »
    If you are getting rent allowance come January 2015 you can fogey about EVER getting a council house.. anywhere

Other changes include that the HAP will be payable directly to the landlord, whereas the rent supplement is payable to the tenant. Recipients will also be able to take up work whereas currently rent supplement recipients are cannot work.
    Critics, among them a number of oppositions TDs, say the Bill will “force thousands of families off the housing lists and into the hands of private landlords”.
    They say a provision in the Bill means families will be deemed housed once they are provided with the assistance payment, and will therefore be removed from the social housing list.
    They also claim it will be used to drive down number on the social housing lists while leaving tenants “at the mercy” of the private rented sector.
    The payment is to be piloted in six local authorities as soon as possible after enactment of the legislation. They are Monaghan, Cork County, Waterford, Louth, Kilkenny and South Dublin County Councils. Dublin City Council is also due to pilot the payment, specifically targeting homeless families in emergency accommodation.
    It is scheduled to be rolled out nationally from January 2015.
    At a press conference in Dublin this morning, a number of women who have children and are homeless, said the Bill would allow local authorities to “throw” them “off the council waiting lists”. http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/minister-for-housing-says-criticisms-of-bill-grossly-inaccurate-1.1835477

Is that not already in operation as of July 1st?

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

yes in some counties, not national until 2015 jan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

dharma200 wrote: »
    Strange article. Includes comments from a woman who claims that her family are homeless, but aren't. Also provides no explanation for why she cannot afford accommodation anywhere in the country for €950 a month.

Advertisement