Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom email setup on Sony Xperia

Options
  • 29-06-2014 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

Can anyone out there advise on this please? I have a Sony Xperia and a while back I was having problems setting up my eircom email account. I could receive, but not send mails. Anyway, after weeks of trying, and loads of advice from Boards, I finally got it sorted by ringing eircom....I can't remember who or how now, I was so delighted that it was all working!
    The phone had to go back for repair last week, it's come back working fine but everything has to be re-loaded. Including the email account....which is right back to square one, only now I can't even get past the 'email address, password' stage....it just keeps saying 'server does not support authentication' etc. I know the address is correct, also the password. Now and again I can get to the Pop3 and Port bit, but still the same message.
    WTF am I doing wrong here? Do I have to wait until tomorrow to ring Eircom....or can someone make my day today?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Eircom support work 7 days last time I checked, just so you know.

Think your issue is SSL is defaulting to on. You want.
    Protocol: POP3
    incoming: webmail.eircom.net
    outgoing: mail1.eircom.net (If on eircom wifi) OR yourproviderSMTP (on 3G or other wifi)
    Authentication: plaintext password
    Encryption/SSL: None/off

It may have to fail the test and proceed anyway, then manually change advanced settings to get it going.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭tony glenn

Thanks for that, but weird....it just connected OK yesterday! I went in to try again and it was up and running......
    Except, as before, I still can't send emails despite treble checking the outgoing settings.(mail1.eircom.net, port 25, security none, require sign in: no) But for now, I'm happy to receive!
    I'll be ringing 1901 late this afternoon, unless I can get any ideas from ye before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

What ISP or mobile network are you using?

They usually only allow access to their own SMTP (outgoing) server on port 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭tony glenn

I'm on Meteor, but Eircom are my Internet carrier. I should say that it worked both ways once for a few days a while back, after a conversation on the Eircom help-line. But I can't for the life of me remember what was said! So at least I know it can be done....btw, I'm typing this whilst waiting for Eircom to answer...'we will answer your call within five minutes'....that was twelve minutes ago. Wait, they just answered and told me to ring 1890 260 260.
    Here we go again.....Wait....they just told me to ring the 33cent per minute number blah blah, spent ten minutes talking and got nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Milo71

Hi I'm with three but my email is eircom - i've tried using eircom's SMTP server and 3's but neither seem to be working ? it was all going fine up to this?
    Tried mail1.eircom.net and mail2.eircom.net and the mail_relay.3ireland.ie
    Just says " could not open connection to server" - does the port need to be changed when eircom isn't my internet provider? its currently at 587

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Milo71 wrote: »
    Hi I'm with three but my email is eircom - i've tried using eircom's SMTP server and 3's but neither seem to be working ? it was all going fine up to this?
    Tried mail1.eircom.net and mail2.eircom.net and the mail_relay.3ireland.ie
    Just says " could not open connection to server" - does the port need to be changed when eircom isn't my internet provider? its currently at 587

Standard SMTP port is 25. 587 is used for authenicated SMTP.

Change to 25.

Advertisement