Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holles Street visiting?

Options
  • 28-06-2014 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭

Is it true only partners and grandparents can visit? Mine and my girlfriends family can't wait to see the baby are they going to be dissapointed? :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Partners, children of the woman admitted and grandparents only.

http://www.nmh.ie/about-us/visitor-information.344.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    Is it true only partners and grandparents can visit? Mine and my girlfriends family can't wait to see the baby are they going to be dissapointed? :(

That's the official rule but it's not strictly enforced. Just don't have too many crowding in at any one time and you'll be grand!

I was very grateful for that rule because it meant I could tell colleagues/friends not to come in, and only had the visitors I wanted in hospital. Outside of the two immediate families, it's much nicer to have your visitors when you're settled in at home rather than in the hospital!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I had my brothers and sister visit and my SIL. The staff may say something but u'll probably get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

They're actually stricter on the times than the grandparents rule. It's not really enforced. I think they have the policy as a back up for their staff and obviously crowding / noise concerns. On all of my 3 I've had my brothers/sisters /parents and best friend and it was never a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

It's just my brother and sister and my OHs sister would hate to be told they can't come see the baby so good to know they will

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,438 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Sure she'll only be in for a day or two. They'll understand. If there's 4 people in the room each with a new born each with several visitors it'd be crazy.

ted1 wrote: »
    Sure she'll only be in for a day or two. They'll understand. If there's 4 people in the room each with a new born each with several visitors it'd be crazy.

Well they won't all be there together. My sister and brother will go in then my nanny and grandad then my OHs sister and my mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,438 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Well they won't all be there together. My sister and brother will go in then my nanny and grandad then my OHs sister and my mother.
    And the other mothers in the room will have people. When do the new mothers rest? Bond with child? Recover? Get to grips with breast feeding, etc
    The rule is there for a reason.

ted1 wrote: »
    And the other mothers in the room will have people. When do the new mothers rest? Bond with child? Recover? Get to grips with breast feeding, etc
    The rule is there for a reason.

Well there's a 2 hour visiting window for everyone apart from partners, so I'm fairly sure 2 hours for family to see the baby won't do anyone harm. And it'll be over 2 days. Most likely my family one day my OHs the next. Then home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I was delighted to see my brothers and sisters. I'm the only one in my family with kid and it was such a special time and was so glad I could share it with them. I didnt want to have to wait till I got home and neither did they. I think everyone's different. And if the mother wants to share this occasion It shouldnt really be up to others to tell her otherwise. Esp if they keep to the dedicated visiting hours. I also completely understand a lot of mothers/fathers not wanting family members in tho! And the rule can be good for those parents who would find it difficult to say no to relatives.

• Advertisement
Advertisement