Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability Claim?

Options
  • 26-06-2014 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

could i claim disability given that i am hard of hearing? I wear a hearing aid, but still dont hear with much fluidity, in that i still have to ask people to repeat themselves. Got new hearing aids there recently thinking they would sort it out, but still cant hear appropriately.

One on one or one or two its fine, but its when i am walking beside someone or they are in front/behind me or in groups that i cant hear. By cant hear i mean, i hear a sound, but cant make out what they are saying and have to lip read sort of.

I dont want to come across as a sit on welfare type. I am looking for work that involves working alone. If i was on a manufacturing line or on the construction sites, doing repetitive work, that would be fine. Am currently on jobseekers but there are no jobs. I wouldnt be able to work in an office or a fast paced environment wherein you are liaising with workers/clients every day because people get frustrated when you have to ask them two or three times what they said.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭kangaroo

could i claim disability given that i am hard of hearing? I wear a hearing aid, but still dont hear with much fluidity, in that i still have to ask people to repeat themselves. Got new hearing aids there recently thinking they would sort it out, but still cant hear appropriately.

One on one or one or two its fine, but its when i am walking beside someone or they are in front/behind me or in groups that i cant hear. By cant hear i mean, i hear a sound, but cant make out what they are saying and have to lip read sort of.

I dont want to come across as a sit on welfare type. I am looking for work that involves working alone. If i was on a manufacturing line or on the construction sites, doing repetitive work, that would be fine. Am currently on jobseekers but there are no jobs. I wouldnt be able to work in an office or a fast paced environment wherein you are liaising with workers/clients every day because people get frustrated when you have to ask them two or three times what they said.
    If you don't get a satisfactory answer here, you could try the Irish Hard of Hearing Association for advice: http://www.ihha.ie/contact/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Hi Neal - I have given you your own thread as the one you posted to was from 2012.

Hope you get the advice you need
    Taltos

Advertisement