Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best free website builder

Options
  • 28-06-2014 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking to make a basic enough website to market myself as a musician. I know nothing about programming and need an idiot proof website maker. What would be best in your opinion? I tried WIX but I'm not so sure about it.

Thanks in advance, I hope I posted this in the right place...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭rankingelite

Instead of using a website builder, get a music wordpress theme.. Check out this link
    designrazzi.net/2014/wordpress-music-themes/

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭BigStupidGuy

Thanks but I need separate parts on the Website for a blog, vjdeos, recordings etc. ...

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

Not sure what you mean by separate parts. Check the info on WordPress I posted earlier

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=91048560#post91048560

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jjod2014

Im looking to build a couple of sites for people/companies to point to for potential employers. Im a recent grad in web programming. Perhaps i may be able to help you out to build your site. If you want to drop me an email address we could discuss further. With a fuller description of what youre looking for i can let you know if i can do it for you

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭eddie

I am looking to make a fairly detailed site with ecommerce and I don't have the 2-5 K need to get the professionals... I reckon I can have a crack at it myself,

My question is, what is the best platform to give me 8-10 pages, register to access, ecommerce, rss feed and sharp clean snappy page transitions for what is going to be a VERY intensive technical site.

I need to be able to add products as required and paypal link for payments.

It seems to narrow down to Wordpress, Drupal or Joomla...

I am looking at all three but just cannot figure out which would be the best overall..

ANY ideas / suggestions would be VERY much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Hi Eddie,

Wordpress.org is the way to go, you want a stand-alone site for optimisation etc, check out Fiverr.com for cheap professionals. If you're looking for a start to finish book on building an online business on a budget, give me a shout, best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

Hi Eddie,
    From your brief outline there are loads of platforms that will meet your criteria, and a person's view of which is best is often solely based on on which they use. We use WordPress extensively and so are biased that way.
    With a little practice buying a domain name, buying hosting, installing Wordpress and activating a theme can be done in under 40mins
    Deciding what domain name, what hosting, which theme takes longer, installing the functionalities you require takes longer still.
    The previous poster mentions "cheap professionals" these two words do not usually go well together, and although you might not get as good as you have paid for you are very unlikely to get better.
    If you are doing a personal blog or having a "play" online by all means do it your self. If you are intending this to be a commercial success, unless you have a few months to spare and want to learn web design and marketing, I would strongly suggest that that you find the money and employ professionals.
    At least spend a few hundred euro and get a business/marketing analysis done first, this not only helps you focus your business ideas but will give you a lot of the information you will need when creating your site/business and save a lot of wasted time and unnecessary expense down the line.

Advertisement