Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New building control regs

Options
  • 28-06-2014 9:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi was just wondering dose anyone have an info or experience on the new building control regs. Am hopping to self build my own house in the coming Mts am a carpenter by trade. We are hopping planning will be approved in the coming weeks. But would like to know dose anyone know what is involved with certifying etc and what sort of professional assistance is needed to comply. Also cost of this professional services and is there any way around avoiding it. Any info would be greatly appreciated if you have any experience of these new measures in relation to the above.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭893bet

phildee90 wrote: »
    Hi was just wondering dose anyone have an info or experience on the new building control regs. Am hopping to self build my own house in the coming Mts am a carpenter by trade. We are hopping planning will be approved in the coming weeks. But would like to know dose anyone know what is involved with certifying etc and what sort of professional assistance is needed to comply. Also cost of this professional services and is there any way around avoiding it. Any info would be greatly appreciated if you have any experience of these new measures in relation to the above.
    Long thread in construction and planning forum sub forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭countrynosebag

as it happens i do know a little as we are planning an extension and the architect has been looking into this very thing.
    he tells us that we cannot build roadside (we have cottage with bit of land) as the cottage is situated a few yards from the road.
    he is giving an extension of 40 sq ft on the other side as it is gratis and therefore no planning permission in alloowances.
    I do not know about towns.
    If you have already built on, ie conservatory as we did, assured wrongly by builders we did not need permission and we are angry, then it may have to come down, there is always a retrospective planning that could be applied for and may be granted for a fee. Tht is, planning granted for something that is ot too invasive may remain and become part of registry.
    It is essential to go to planning department and get a copy of your house plans for they show what is actually legally registered, the exact footage. This then should be checked for, as we discovered, another tiny extension for cold food store was actually legal, although roadside and may stay. It had been previously pulled down and we did not know.
    There may be something pulled down, as with us, attached to house, ie big barn and you may have that exact amount to build as we are going to.
    I hope this is somewhat helpful, this is recent information of about 2 months old 2014.
    note, it differs from county to county!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭AngryLoner

It seems that you have to appoint a "building compliance officer" in order to assure your home doesn't turn into another priory hall. It's "the law", there's no way around it and it will cost you lots of TIME and MONEY.

We're trying to build a small extension on the back of a cottage. Planning application went in LAST AUGUST. They made us replace our septic tank with a new system (over 15 grand) PLUS made us apply for planning permission for this same unwanted beast of a system. They made us change our plans for this new system 3 times and we waited nearly a year for it all to get sorted out. Just when it looked like there was light at the end of the tunnel... HERE COMES THE BUILDING COMPLIANNCE REGS, which mean we have to pay and extra 8 grand to an architect to take on the role of Compliance Officer.

And to cap it all off: the council are asking me for a 2.5 grand "contribution" for using services such as public drains (which we don't use) and (you guessed it) public sewarage systems.

So, because of EU and Irish parasites, sorry beauracrats, we have had to wait a year to put up a little house extension and pay an extra 25 GRAND for the priviledge.

Sorry for the rant, but when it comes to the officials in this country and the EU (who are responsible for the new waste water regs) I am DISGUSTED, DEPRESSED, FRUSTRATED AND FURIOUS WITH THIS ENDLESSLY MULTIPLYING CLASS OF PARASITES WHO DO NOTHING BUT DREAM UP WAYS TO GET IN EVERYBODY'S WAY IN ORDER TO JUSTIFY THEIR OWN MEANINGLESS EXISTENCE.

Shheeeeeeeeeeeit.

Advertisement