Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths / Physics University courses

Options
  • 28-06-2014 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

So I've only just finished fifth year , but I'm mulling through what I'd like to pursue as a college course and potentially have a career after that. At the moment, I'd primarily be considering (descending in difficulty, from my interpretation, I may be wrong)

-Engineering
    -Physics through science
    -Applied Mathematics
    -Theoretical Physics
    -Pure Mathematics (I believe this would be too difficult for me)

I'm really not too sure where the best place to do these courses are, and what my capabilities are. I really struggle with knowing what I'd be able to do in college and I'm quite afraid I'll pick a course which I just won't click with and will ultimately end up dropping out of. I am sure even the most basic of maths in University is vastly different to that in Secondary School, especially with Project maths.

I enjoy maths and physics, and working out problems. With the required work I understand the topics we do in maths, and with a bit more work physics (Mostly the theory side I struggle with). In Applied maths often I struggled with some of the harder questions, but often that is due to the pace we undertook the course at (all in one year) and the fact that I had not learned the fundemental mathematical skills required for certain questions.

I'd appreciate any reply with your experiences with any of these courses and how you found or find the content, and how you feel your skill level is.

Thanks, Sorry for the paragraphs!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I think you need to ask yourself why you want to do a maths, physics or engineering degree? What would you like to be doing on a day-to-day basis in university? Obviously if you go for a pure maths course, you're going to be attending maths, maths, and more maths lectures day after day. Engineering, for example, on the other hand is very different. Sure, there'll be maths lectures and there'll be plenty of math in other lectures too, but you'll also be spending a lot of time applying that math, as well as working in labs, learning to programme, etc.

Advertisement