Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new building control regulations self build

Options
  • 27-06-2014 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

If I get approved builder to roof and build house and do structural works and get architect to submit commencement notice can I plaster and plum and second fix carpentry work and tile house myself ?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Ask the certifying architect

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Scotia Major

I'm a chartered engineer and will start a self build hopefully next year. Can I certify my own build?

Is there a guidance on the net to become an Assigned Certifier?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

bob5666 wrote: »
    If I get approved builder to roof and build house and do structural works and get architect to submit commencement notice can I plaster and plum and second fix carpentry work and tile house myself ?

Who will certify the plastering, plumbing and 2nd fix?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bob5666

kceire wrote: »

The assigned certifer could check work is to regs right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

kceire wrote: »

Where's the requirement to certify plastering ??

Plumbing has certain things to achieve, but I'm not aware of any for plastering ?

And, second fix what ??

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

galwaytt wrote: »

Plumbing has certain things to achieve, but I'm not aware of any for plastering ?

And, second fix what ??

Presuming an AC would require an ancillary certificate from the sparks and the plumber before signing off. Maybe no plastering (copy/paste laziness on my behalf).

So Galwaytt, if you were acting as an AC, would you allow the client do his own plumbing and 2nd fix and then put your name to it at the end?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭RITwing

I see another thread where leaves were mixed into plaster. A certifier cannot be too careful.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,266 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

galwaytt wrote: »

And, second fix what ??

EVERY construction activity is subject to building regulations and therefore by default is covered by the assigned certifiers certification.

Any intelligent AS will request that EVERY tradesman that works on a site certifys their own work.... including plasterers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

I'm a chartered engineer and will start a self build hopefully next year. Can I certify my own build?

Is there a guidance on the net to become an Assigned Certifier?

What's your field? If it's civil/structural as far as I know it's a case of work away. Just fill your own details in on the BCMS as the owner, builder, assigned certifier and designer (if you will be designing it yourself). It might be getting tightened up that you have to use a registered builder. Dunno where you'd stand with builders insurance, though. Last I checked the CIRI field was optional.

If you're something like a medical devices engineer it might not be the best idea :eek:

Talk to engineers ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Scotia Major

CEng, but I’m with the ICE (UK - based in the North). I understand the AC must be chartered with the IEI however. This would require chartered engineers in the North to transfer over to the IEI if they wanted to work in the south. I wonder would there be implications in regards to the Good Friday Agreement here.

Aye from what I’ve read I have seen that you are encouraged to use a registered builder. Is it actually compulsory though?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

CEng, but I’m with the ICE (UK - based in the North). I understand the AC must be chartered with the IEI however. This would require chartered engineers in the North to transfer over to the IEI if they wanted to work in the south. I wonder would there be implications in regards to the Good Friday Agreement here.

Aye from what I’ve read I have seen that you are encouraged to use a registered builder. Is it actually compulsory though?
    the onus is on the certifier. so you need to read the regulations and consider the liabilities your about to undertake.

assuming you get IEI chartered memebership, it could be 'YOU' acting as the certifier, who declares YOU're the competent contractor (setup as a ltd/ director of a building company)

this doesn't seem to be adeqautely covered by the legislation.

Advertisement