Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

home recording for guitar - confused

Options
  • 27-06-2014 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi there

I am a complete beginner when it comes to recording but want to record myself playing classical guitar and get excellent audio and video. My current gear is a Nikon d5200 and a mic stand with the RODE Stereo Video Mic pro attached. I have to say i was disapointed with the results - there was a "hiss" from the camera recording - after research realised that - could reduce or throttle back the mic manually on the Nikon - and the RODE mic has a +20db switch and a high pass filter to cut out low background noise - this improved the recording a bit but certainly not the result i was looking for, may sell this mic.

I then came across the "JuicedLink" preamps - and this is supposed to address the problems of recording to DSLR directly.
    By increasing the Signal to Noise ratio - they also have phantom power and other features - all this is so there is no post production syncing of audio and video. but they retail at around 399 i live in ireland so combine shipping - I am thinking i may be able to get
    better results by buying a RODE NT5 mic - balanced XLR cable and the Focusrite 2i4 USB Audio Interface. However, this is where I get
    worried - I have no experience of DAW'S like Cubase, Ableton, Reaper - and these have a steep learning curve and time investment attached. Also I have heard of software called PluralEyes or Dual Eyes (although I think this is now integrated into Pluraleyes)
    available for 199 dollars which does a quick sync of audio recorded seperatly and video from DSLR - and allows the user to export to
    video editing software like FInal Cut, or premiere pro.

Im thinking then I need to buy a DAW to record the audio first (ie. get it into the computer) and then buy something like Pluraleyes to sync the audio and video (another learning curve) and possibly Pluraleyes cant export a finished .WAV or .MOV (not great on file formats) because it relies on video editing software like Final Cut (another expenditure) i tried emailing the makers of pluraleyes but no response.

So I am now confused what to do - I do not want to waste money and want to get it right first time - can anyone help and sorry for the long post

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Ableton has no steep learning curve. The opening tutorial is great Awesome tool for recording music.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭nickkinneg

Saipanne wrote: »
    Ableton has no steep learning curve. The opening tutorial is great Awesome tool for recording music.

Hi there

how much is it? and can it sync audio and video as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

nickkinneg wrote: »
    Hi there

how much is it? and can it sync audio and video as well?

I dunno, I downloaded it.

No video.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

You certainly don't need to buy a DAW if you are looking to just record guitar.
    You can use Audacity which is free to record the audio. You can use your camera to record the video and then import the result into video editing software. You can then add the audio as a separate track and sync it manually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

Rocksmith the video game comes with a cable thats usb to guitar which works on a pc. I use it with amplitube and it gets a way better sound than my amp going through my DAW.

• Advertisement
Advertisement