Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Records of Greenmount Industrial Sch Cork

Options
  • 27-06-2014 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi, I am hoping that someone can tell me where to approach to seek the record of a boy placed in Greenmount Industrial School in Cork circa 1928/30?

The boy would have been my great uncle so hopefully I would be permitted to view his record.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭jellyboy

You would have to go to the order that ran the school ,presentation brothers
    try barnados tracing(it was set up in cojuction with the government ) or the support groups for surviours

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Barnados Origins Service have access to registers which have limited information, and might be able to tell you if your great uncle is on it, but to get the actual record you'll need to contact the Order, or the Department of Education.

I found the Sisters of Charity absolutely dreadul to deal with, but the DOE were very helpful. They generally like to only give information to next of kin. They weren't even really happy to give me my own Grandmother's records, I had to get my Dad to apply for the info. They required her death cert, and my Dad's birth cert.

The lady I dealt with in the DOE was Mary Halligan, and she is in the 'Freedom Of Information Section - Residential Institutions Redress Unit.' Her number is (090)648-4051 and her email is mary_halligan@education.gov.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 29 amoppet

Thank you Alicat, I will contact the DOE at the email you have given me and see what advice they give, I would imagine they are more approachable than the religious order concerned... though I have not made contact yet and would be most happy to be proved wrong in my suspicion. Fingers crossed!!

Advertisement