Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fly set & telescopic rod —*help!

Options
  • 27-06-2014 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi there,

A couple of quick questions. Am (very) new to fly fishing, only started learning in the last few months.

1.I'm interested in buying a set of flies to get started. My instructor gave me a couple but would like to expand... Can anyone recommend a particular set, or what to look for in a set? Really don't want anything with too much in it, or anything too expensive. Will mainly be for brown trout on rivers and lakes in the west of Ireland, and ideally would like a mix of wet and dry etc. I was just going to go into my local shop and ask but figured I'd throw the question out here.

2. I bought a two piece rod off my instructor, but I'm starting to think I'd like a telescopic-type rod that can be packed down to a much smaller size. The reason is that 1) I cycle to most of my fishing spots and 2) I do a good bit of hillwalking/backpacking/wild camping and would love to have a small, transportable rod to take with me to have a go in mountain lakes etc.

I'm wondering how much I could expect to spend on such a rod, and what I should look out for? Would even be tempted to sell the one I have now to help fund it.

Thanks very much.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

When it comes to flies you would be better to go to a tackle shop locally for advice on what works best in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Hi there,

A couple of quick questions. Am (very) new to fly fishing, only started learning in the last few months.

1.I'm interested in buying a set of flies to get started. My instructor gave me a couple but would like to expand... Can anyone recommend a particular set, or what to look for in a set? Really don't want anything with too much in it, or anything too expensive. Will mainly be for brown trout on rivers and lakes in the west of Ireland, and ideally would like a mix of wet and dry etc. I was just going to go into my local shop and ask but figured I'd throw the question out here.

2. I bought a two piece rod off my instructor, but I'm starting to think I'd like a telescopic-type rod that can be packed down to a much smaller size. The reason is that 1) I cycle to most of my fishing spots and 2) I do a good bit of hillwalking/backpacking/wild camping and would love to have a small, transportable rod to take with me to have a go in mountain lakes etc.

I'm wondering how much I could expect to spend on such a rod, and what I should look out for? Would even be tempted to sell the one I have now to help fund it.

Thanks very much.
    you can get 4 piece fly rods that are easy to carry around. my own rod is a four piece greys gx500 cost around 120 euro #7. have a look on ebay. i would ask in your local shop about flys. its cheaper to buy online but you could be buying the wrong ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Eyeball Tickler

Thanks. Yeah I had notions of buying flies online alright, but I guess going into the shop is best. The thing is that I have a few trips planned to different places (Mayo, Wicklow, Kerry) on which I'm planning to take the rod so maybe I should wait until I get to each spot.

con, thanks for the advice on the four piece rod. I think I'll start the process of selling my two-piece and buying a four-piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

My opinion on Telescopic Rods is that they are of far Inferior quality, you'd be better off with a half decent second hand Rod, ask your local tackle shop they always have a few second hand rods that wont break the bank but Will give you a better fishing experience.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Thanks. Yeah I had notions of buying flies online alright, but I guess going into the shop is best. The thing is that I have a few trips planned to different places (Mayo, Wicklow, Kerry) on which I'm planning to take the rod so maybe I should wait until I get to each spot.

con, thanks for the advice on the four piece rod. I think I'll start the process of selling my two-piece and buying a four-piece.

My father picked himself up a 2nd hand Greys four piece in Southside Angling for 130 quid, exact same reason as yourself that he wanted something handy and portable. That there was a Greys available was just a bonus

As for flies agreed on asking locally, though I think it always helps to have some G&H Sedges, Devaux Sedges and maybe something like a Royal Wulff or other 'no match flies' like Stimulators. When nothing seems to be on the latter could prove useful in some way, whilst the two sedges are usually good for something when evening sets in, though I'm basing this on fishing near exclusively on the Liffey mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 DOD3379

A pheasant tail nymph and a few spider patterns (partridge and orange spider, greenwells spider and a kill devils or black and silver spider) always work well. Also try an elk hair caddis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

I'd recommend a travel rod. These are 6 or 7 piece so the overall length of the tube would be much shorter. I use a few of them for travelling.
    Have a search on eBay for travel fly rod.

Thanks very much for the advice everyone, sorry I've been a bit slow to reply, work has been busy so haven't been able to get out fishing. Really appreciate the tips.

Planning to buy a more portable rod soon. Uch, when you say telescopic, how many pieces are you referring to? What kind of bad experiences have you had?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Telescopics are generally one piece, I have found that they always have a terrible action

21/25

h okay, so you mean the proper telescopic ones that collapses into itself. Thanks, noted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Hi,

I heard that the agility fly rods are well worth the money, i had look there and here http://www.fishingmegastore.com/shakespeare-agility-exp-fly~21535.html Is the travel rod one it's 7 pieces! its only about 65 euro a good starter rod!!

Advertisement