Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Job & Taxes

Options
  • 27-06-2014 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

Hi

I am looking for information and guidance.
    I have just started a JOB 2 weeks ago in the mid of june 2014. My salary is 32k pa.
    I have a 3 years old son.
    My wife is unemployed and we both were on job seekers allowance before i started this job.

Can someone tell me how my taxes will be calculated.

If i am eligible to apply for TAX relief. If yes for what exactly. e.g house rent, car communting. etc.

Also how it should or will effect the social welfare benefit of my wife.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

try deloitte.ie/tc to find out how much tax you will pay.
    There's no tax relief or rent or commuting (apart from using a tax saver ticket with rail/bus).
    Try the state benefits forum for info on welfare/supplementary payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,711 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How long were you unemployed for? If long-term, then there's a possibility of Job Plus - but I think that's for employers and not for you. (Not totally sure here).

Have you filled in a form 12a and/or contacted Revenue to tell them that you've started a job? They need to know your start-date and the employer's registration number.

No one else can tell you how much your tax will be. Among other things, it depends on when you got married, if you've elected to be jointly assessed for tax, if you have any previous debt to Revenue, whether you were on JS-Benefit rather than JS-Alllowance for any of the year, etc etc. Also your occupation - there is a small tax credit for some occupations. Your employer will calculate it once they have received your tax-credits certificate from Revenue.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Have you registered for PAYE Anytime? You should be entitled to claim half your spouses tax credits, rent relief up to 800 Euro, income continuance if you have VHI, Aviva or Laya Health Care and Flat Rate Expenses if you incur any work related expenses, such as paying for your own tools.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Itzy wrote: »
    Have you registered for PAYE Anytime? You should be entitled to claim half your spouses tax credits, rent relief up to 800 Euro, income continuance if you have VHI, Aviva or Laya Health Care and Flat Rate Expenses if you incur any work related expenses, such as paying for your own tools.

Spousal tax credits only apply once over the 20% threshold which OP is not on his salary, rent relief no longer exists.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Rent relief was reinstated this year up to the value of 800. I can actually claim it as a tax credit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭iwantthat

Thanks guys for your input. I am registered with PAYE and just looked up and you can only claim the rent relief if you started to pay rent on or before 07/12/2010... I rented this house where i am living on the 15th of Jan 2011.... :-(

Advertisement