Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative messaging app on Android

Options
  • 27-06-2014 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

I bought a Samsung Galaxy S4 mini and while I like it, I don't like the default messaging app that seems to ship with it. I had been using the Motorola Moto G recently and found it's messaging app much nicer.

I don't want to use Hangouts so I was wondering if there's an alternative text messaging thing I can use with Android?

I'm currently running Android 4.2.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

veganrun wrote: »
    I don't want to use Hangouts so I was wondering if there's an alternative text messaging thing I can use with Android?
    A quick Google brings up loads of articles offering alternatives. I use EvolveSMS (which is mentioned in the first link).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Technophobe

I find Handcent v good..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

There is a huge amount of choice out there. You can find a lot of SMS apps built off the open source stock Android SMS app which is possibly similar to the you on the Moto G.
    8sms
    SMS Messaging (AOSP)

Or you could try out some of the custom apps which have very different UIs and features.
    GO SMS Pro
    Handcent SMS
    chomp SMS
    hello sms
    Textra SMS
    EvolveSMS

I can't really speak to any of the apps as I've only ever used the stock one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭jgbyr

I find Handcent v good..

+1 on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

I am on gosms pro have had most of the others too. also worth noting you can schedule a text message as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

daytob wrote: »
    I am on gosms pro have had most of the others too. also worth noting you can schedule a text message as well.

Using go aswell but lately the ads have started to annoy me, still dont' like the others as much so I'm just putting up with it.
    You get them too ?

on the gosmspro? no ads on my one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

daytob wrote: »
    on the gosmspro? no ads on my one

Yeah there are on mine. have adaway installed but they still show up.
    you use an ad blocker ?

no not at all.
    never had it on any of the phones I use. htc one x
    sensation
    star chinese phone
    zopo 980+ * current phone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

EvolveSMS is great
    I tried Handcent and Chomp but I really like EvolveSMS now

Great integration with Pushbullet and it has lots of cool features like inline replies from the notification bar, archives messages thus improving speed, pop up notifications and reminders, password protect certain converstaions and its very customisable

it also is by far the best looking app I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

By the same dev as evolve, have a look at sliding messaging. Very similar, but I prefer it to evolve. I've tried loads, and sliding messaging is the only alternative that I stuck with for a good while. I'm back to using hangouts now for the past couple of months, and it's actually very good. Only thing it lacks is proper pop up notification, but the SMS Popup app takes care of that. I like that it's cross platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I find Handcent v good..
    me three (and the wife, so us 4). :)

Advertisement